Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by runningwithscalpels

Hmm, considering NOTHING else has been said of this, the chances of it happening are slim to none, and slim is walking out the door.
  by 4400Washboard

runningwithscalpels wrote:Hmm, considering NOTHING else has been said of this, the chances of it happening are slim to none, and slim is walking out the door.

Thank god :P
  by R36 Combine Coach

In the January 2015 MTA Capital Program monthly report, on page 4 is an update of the 7 Extension (as of December 2014):
the contractor shows a delay in completing its work according to the acceleration agreement, and projects the completion date to be in the 2nd Quarter of 2015.
and
forecasts a revenue service date no earlier than April 2015.
  by TrainPhotos

runningwithscalpels wrote:As the great Mitch Hedberg said, an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs ;)

I agree with you there :P
Not to be contrary, but PATH exchange place january 2013. The rated number of how many people can enter/exit a station is heavily affected by escalators staying operational. At penn station LIRR concourse, if the 3 escalators by the waiting room stop working it causes a huge jam of people during peak hours.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The MTA Capital Program's March 2015 monthly report had July as the target date, with a drive to meet the deadline this time, however revenue service may still be delayed. Expect the April report with updates next week.
  by runningwithscalpels

Here's the entrance as of last Saturday (4/18/15) boarded up...
  by R36 Combine Coach

Still 8-10 weeks (at the minimum), but the entrance plaza is largely complete.
  by runningwithscalpels

Of course the question is...what lies behind that plywood. Isn't a large part of the delay the fancy newfangled escalators (elevators?) they have to install because the station is so deep?
  by NaugyRR

Wow, the outside looks really nice. Last time I was there was October(I think?) and it still had the privacy wall around it. It'll be a lot nicer getting back to GCT from the Intrepid and the Walkway now than hoofin' it over 42nd Street.
  by Kamen Rider

the current problem was the "systems integration tests" and the fire alarm.
  by runningwithscalpels

NaugyRR wrote:Wow, the outside looks really nice. Last time I was there was October(I think?) and it still had the privacy wall around it. It'll be a lot nicer getting back to GCT from the Intrepid and the Walkway now than hoofin' it over 42nd Street.
There was a gaping hole in the fence for me to stick my camera through. It's still all blocked off and whatnot from street access.
  by 4400Washboard

Station sure looks nice. I've been by there a couple times this past winter and it doesn't seem to have changed much... Some construction materials and equipment (Boards, etc.) have been moved around a bit
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed Picture Quote
  by NaugyRR

I'm going down to see Rush at the Garden at the end of next month, it'll be interesting to see how things have progressed by then.
  by runningwithscalpels

The High Line at the Yards expansion ends right around the corner from the station...plus affords some great lazy railfanning views of LIRR ;)