• Update on coaches masquerading as business class

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JimBoylan

Amtrak's official reason for stopping 1st Class Amclub service back about 1997 was that they would have a better Acela 1st Class service some year in the future, and so it wasn't necessary to have a competing, but slower, service in the interval. 1st Class Metroclub service would still be available for a short time, but only South of New York City.
  by Tadman

n2cbo wrote:
jp1822 wrote:Amtrak could have a REAL premium service with the 2-1 leather seat Amfleet business class cars. They should be the Acela First Class equivalent, offering at-seat meals etc. on select corridor trains - be it NEC, Empire, or the long distance day trains. At one time I thought this was going to be experimented with. Instead Amtrak would often run what ever they had for say the Clocker service. I used to LOVE to get these brand new re-conditioned cars on the Clockers!
I remember when Amtrak actually offered REAL First Class service on its NE Corridor Non-Metroliner trains. You did get 2-1 seating AND meals served at your seat. I was always willing to pay the extra charge, and since the base fare was less than the Metroliner, it was worth it for me if I was willing to take a slightly longer travel time from Metropark to Washington. If I remember correctly, the First Class Accommodation Charge was the same as the Metroliner, so Amtrak got the same "fee" for the upgrade. Why did they stop it?
This is a good point. Today's "business class", even when the proper equipment is running, is a bit silly. Last time I was on a Wolverine, I saw moms in Juicy Couture sweatsuits in business class. There is no way I'm paying extra for that privilege.
  by jp1822

JimBoylan wrote:Amtrak's official reason for stopping 1st Class Amclub service back about 1997 was that they would have a better Acela 1st Class service some year in the future, and so it wasn't necessary to have a competing, but slower, service in the interval. 1st Class Metroclub service would still be available for a short time, but only South of New York City.
I remember the service too and it was also offered on other corridors too, outside the NEC - specifically the Empire Corridor comes to mind. A first class service may work well on some of the long distance day trains or other corridor trains. It also wouldn't hurt to "try it." There was Amclub, Custom Class etc. - all kinds of names that offered a more premium service than business class. And with Acela Express first class selling out and being a popular service - why not expand, especially when Amtrak boasts that the NEC loses less money than other trains etc. (language varies depending on who at Amtrak you talk to re: NEC profitability or lack there of).
  by Rockingham Racer

I rode business class last month New York-Boston. It was part of a MIA-BOS itinerary. The seating was 2-2 and the car was full. I saw no difference whatsoever in that service vis-à-vis coach. And the free drink? TWO cars back. IMO, paying extra for this class of service is a rip-off.

Concerning sellouts on Acela first class: tomorrow, March 6, a Friday, there is a first class seat for sale on every Acela BOS-NYP and NYP-WAS. Maybe they'll be sold today or overnight.
  by Patrick A.

Have experienced both 'Business Class' services mentioned in the thread. First being the back half of the cafe car with 1x2 leather recliners and the 2x2 blue seats similar to coach with slightly more legroom. Aboard the Ethan Allen and Empire Service NYP-ALB/SAR I know I will get the 1x2 leather seating format and will gladly purchase the upgrade. However, after getting the latter 2x2 format on NEC and the Maple Leaf (ALB-NYP segment) I don't see the benefit. Generally on the Empire if I take a morning train, newspapers will be at every seat and some conductors are better about making sure there are small water bottles at each seat.

In terms of a First Class or 'enhanced' Biz Class, I suppose it comes down to what the customers want. When I look around at the Biz Class users, it's mainly older folks or business travelers looking for some peace and quiet away from noisy/fidgety kids and a bit more space to work or relax. Don't think many would be too inclined for a meal service on anything less than 4 hours, but maybe a beverage/light snack service (nuts, cheese & crackers, fruit etc.) would be in order? I think the quiet factor and better seat/legroom are the principle drivers.
  by mohawkrailfan

When did you see 2x2 business seating on the Maple Leaf? Is that new? I rode business on the Maple Leaf a few times in 2014 and never saw that.
  by Bob Roberts

mohawkrailfan wrote:When did you see 2x2 business seating on the Maple Leaf? Is that new? I rode business on the Maple Leaf a few times in 2014 and never saw that.
I rode the ML two weeks ago in 2+1 BC seating.
  by Matt Johnson

This was easily the best business class accomodation on Amtrak. 2-1 seating and you got to ride in the engine! :)
  by Patrick A.

Bob Roberts wrote:
mohawkrailfan wrote:When did you see 2x2 business seating on the Maple Leaf? Is that new? I rode business on the Maple Leaf a few times in 2014 and never saw that.
I rode the ML two weeks ago in 2+1 BC seating.
Over the summer, train was delayed due to an equipment issue so perhaps that played a role?