• Super Bowl Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by MACTRAXX

Tommy Meehan wrote:There probably won't be another Super Bowl at MetLife for at least 10-12 years if then. Cold weather sites have a lot of challenges and there is a lot of competition for the game. Remember the Monday following the Super Bowl? The surprise snow storm? If that had happened twenty-four hours earlier it would've created huge problems and, maybe more important, the on-field playing conditions would have been horrendous. Nobody wants to see that happen.

I think the running time from Secaucus to Meadowlands is about twelve minutes.
Tommy: I agree with you here-NY/NJ will now have to "get in line" again to be considered to host a Super Bowl realizing how many cold weather NFL cities now want consideration - Philadelphia and Pittsburgh just for starters...

I also agree with your weather observation knowing how much Super Bowl 48 lucked out with the game time weather conditions and with that Monday 2/3 storm it could have caused major problems with this game seeing now the
current major storm (2/12) bearing down on the Northeast...February can be the roughest winter weather month and this year it is certainly living up to its reputation...

MACTRAXX
  by ThirdRail7

Fan Railer wrote:Running time from Secaucus to Meadowlands and back:
http://youtu.be/S0qL3afqS1Q?t=16m1s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ84XQ5TFr4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That takes more time than I thought. On top of that, you have to unload, trek to another level and operate to NYP. Part of the problem is the upper level of SEC which can realistically handle two trains at a time. At best, for a small part of the hour, you can handle three for shuttle service, but that window is slim.
  by ThirdRail7

It looks like our esteemed representatives are getting the brush off from all sides. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Did you really expect the busy NFL and a bunch of people that were being replaced to come an inquiry?

NJ Transit, NFL Skip Bowl Inquiry

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 3667081118" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For the second time in less than a month, the NFL, New Jersey Transit and the local Super Bowl host committee declined to send representatives to the hearing sponsored by the Assembly transportation committee. A scheduled Feb. 24 hearing was canceled when those parties, including outgoing NJ Transit executive director James Weinstein, said they wouldn't attend.

Since then, Weinstein resigned and was replaced by former Turnpike Authority chief Veronique Hakim. In a letter to committee chairman John Wisniewski dated Friday, Hakim asked for "reasonable time so that I can be in a position to provide the Committee with meaningful testimony."

While Wisniewski called Weinstein's last-minute decision to skip last month's hearing "reprehensible," he questioned how much the NFL's policies played a role in what fellow committee member Assemblywoman Linda Stender likened to the "Who's On First?" comedy routine.

"We don't know because we haven't had an opportunity to hear from them," Wisniewski said. "But the testimony we heard today from individuals is that the NFL dictated many of the protocols that New Jersey Transit had to follow. They were really put into a box where they had to use only rail, they had a rail facility that only could process 12,000 to 13,000 people per hour and when they realized they had 30,000 people coming through that train station, there was no other way to fix it. I think that was unfair to New Jersey Transit and I'd like to hear from them to understand exactly what they did to try and solve that problem."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... DfKZKX3.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

MACTRAXX wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote:There probably won't be another Super Bowl at MetLife for at least 10-12 years if then. Cold weather sites have a lot of challenges and there is a lot of competition for the game. Remember the Monday following the Super Bowl? The surprise snow storm? If that had happened twenty-four hours earlier it would've created huge problems and, maybe more important, the on-field playing conditions would have been horrendous. Nobody wants to see that happen.

Tommy: I agree with you here-NY/NJ will now have to "get in line" again to be considered to host a Super Bowl realizing how many cold weather NFL cities now want consideration - Philadelphia and Pittsburgh just for starters...

MACTRAXX
10-12 years is truly optimistic. I really don't think the NFL got as much as they had hoped for here. Oh to hear the blowhards of the NY media it was the greatest thing since World's Fair. In reality I think those that had to endure this debacle would tell you otherwise.
  by morris&essex4ever

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:

MACTRAXX
10-12 years is truly optimistic. I really don't think the NFL got as much as they had hoped for here. Oh to hear the blowhards of the NY media it was the greatest thing since World's Fair. In reality I think those that had to endure this debacle would tell you otherwise.
Maybe the final score of the game and the NFL dictating transportation to and from Metlife Stadium something to do with not getting as much as the NFL hoped??
  by ThirdRail7

NJ may not want to host the Super Bowl the next time they are asked.

Please allow a brief fair use quote:

NJ Transit says it lost $5.6M on Super Bowl

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/02/49 ... 6m-on.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;#storylink=cpy

TRENTON — The head of New Jersey Transit says transporting fans to and from February's Super Bowl cost the agency $5.6 million.

Executive Director Ronnie Hakim told a state Senate committee on Thursday that the agency's expenses for getting fans to MetLife Stadium during Super Bowl week tallied $7.2 million, including overtime.

But the agency brought in $1.6 million from ticket sales and selling advertising on its website, trains and the Secaucus Junction station to Pepsi.

Hakim was named director of the agency in March after predecessor Jim Weinstein resigned.
  by Steve F45

Dont think its configured wrong, just not finished. In my opinion, it should've been a through station. Having the line continue to wrap around the stadium grounds, with another wye by the route 3 overpass by berry's creek so east bound and west bound bcl trains could traverse the line along with east bound pvl trains. It would essentially be a giant loop. PVL w/b's would enter at wye by rt 3, go through stadium and exit at existing wye to continue w/b. E/b PVL would enter existing wye come thru stadium and exit at new wye by rt 3 to get to hoboken.
BCL w/b's would enter new wye by rt 3, loop around stadium, exit onto pvl at existing wye and then head back onto bcl to hoboken. W/B BCL would go from bcl to pvl, take existing wye through stadium, loop around stadium grounds to new wye at rt 3, get back onto bcl and continue its w/b trek.
Pardon the preschool drawing, yellow is current, blue is pipe dream.
  by BigDell

But a pretty nifty idea, none the less.... Was there ever a thought or plan to have this line extend or loop? Or was it always envisioned as this stub? I guess the real issue is how efficient is this line for the majority of other events at the stadium. If it's more than enough 80-90% of the time, then that says it all. But if it's chronically deficient...... well....
  by srock1028

BigDell wrote:
But a pretty nifty idea, none the less.... Was there ever a thought or plan to have this line extend or loop? Or was it always envisioned as this stub? I guess the real issue is how efficient is this line for the majority of other events at the stadium. If it's more than enough 80-90% of the time, then that says it all. But if it's chronically deficient...... well....
The line is very efficient, moves 12,000-15,000 people an hour. Average number of passengers for a Jets or Giants game is about 10,000. Other events see lower numbers.
  by trainbrain

I know that they used 10 car multilevel trains when they did the Superbowl rail service. Most of the time, 8 car Comet trains are used. At least that is what I see when I am waiting for the Main Line train on the SEC lower level. I wonder if the added capacity of multilevels is mitigated by the slower loading than on the single levels and if it would have worked better if they used 10-12 comets (if the ALP45DP can even handle that many).
  by Ken W2KB

trainbrain wrote:I know that they used 10 car multilevel trains when they did the Superbowl rail service. Most of the time, 8 car Comet trains are used. At least that is what I see when I am waiting for the Main Line train on the SEC lower level. I wonder if the added capacity of multilevels is mitigated by the slower loading than on the single levels and if it would have worked better if they used 10-12 comets (if the ALP45DP can even handle that many).
The multilevels have two doors at each end, and if passengers use both, one for upper and one for lower level direct path (not criss-crossing) , they likely load faster than single levels.
  by F40

I feel that many people criss-cross going to both levels when entering from the quarter-point door, so this slows the boarding process a bit. Even if there was a line through the vestibule doors, you still end up waiting in "line" from the people entering at the quarter doors. Albeit, the end door line can still "absorb" 10-15 people so in theory may be a hair faster than if only two doors were used.
  by bleet

BigDell wrote:
This was basically one of the options considered in the early planning for the line. I think another option was to head due south and cross Rt 3 and the Turnpike and the creek and rejoin farther south on the mainline. For obvious reasons neither of those options were supported. The reality in my view is that the line is fine as is and the problem was the gross under-estimation of the crowd size for the Super Bowl. I'd be curious what would have been done differently if the NFL and NJT had estimated that 30k fans would ride the trains that day.