Railroad Forums 

• Freight lines operating in Liberty, NY area in early 70s

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1262810  by Snowmojoe

Hi all -

I am curious what railroads would have had freight operations running in the area of Liberty NY (lets say within 10-20 mile radius) in the early 70s?

I am trying to find some kind of news article or other confirmation of a freight train derailment in the Liberty NY area some time after 1971 but before 1975. I don't know what road and I don't know if it was a major or minor event; the only thing I do think I know about it is that some of the cargo involved was lumber/building supplies. My understanding is that to help clean up the site, some of the spilled contents were sold to opportunistic citizens on the spot - basically (supposedly?), "whatever you can fit in your car" was yours for a steep discount.

I can find no mention of any derailment by searching general terms on line. If I had more info it might be easier to narrow down (i.e. E-L derailment Liberty NY, something like that).

Any ideas? If anyone has knowledge of the derailment itself, that would be great.
 #1262859  by ExCon90

The only railroad that ever operated through Libertyville and vicinity was the New York, Ontario & Western, which went bankrupt and ceased operations in 1957. The closest other railroad (and within 20 miles, actually, and in the relevant time period) was the Erie Lackawanna (former Erie), which passed through Narrowsburg, Cochecton, Callicoon, and Hankins in that general area. Any derailment in the 1970's would have had to be on the EL.