Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#123924  by KANDYMAN

As you may have read, BART is facing a deficit in the $30 million dollar range this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they can cut costs besides what they have suggested? I’m not sure if charging for parking is the way to go. I have a few suggestions below:

1. Turning off the electronic signs at the very ends of the platforms during non-commute hours. No one is standing down there anyways.

2. Turning off most of the lights in the tunnels between Colma and Millbrae. Does anyone besides me think all these lights are a little excessive?

3. Turning off the escalators after 7 p.m. in stations where the elevator is inside of the paid area. If someone can’t walk down the steps they can now use the elevator. Also in the busiest BART stations the escalators would stay on all the time.

4. Truncating Dublin trains at 24 Th Street/Mission. Not sure how feasible this is right now.

Any other suggestions?

#124027  by N.Y. State Of Mind

5. Divert some highway subsidies to cover BART operating costs.
 #124140  by Palal12

KANDYMAN wrote:As you may have read, BART is facing a deficit in the $30 million dollar range this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they can cut costs besides what they have suggested? I’m not sure if charging for parking is the way to go. I have a few suggestions below:

1. Turning off the electronic signs at the very ends of the platforms during non-commute hours. No one is standing down there anyways.

2. Turning off most of the lights in the tunnels between Colma and Millbrae. Does anyone besides me think all these lights are a little excessive?

3. Turning off the escalators after 7 p.m. in stations where the elevator is inside of the paid area. If someone can’t walk down the steps they can now use the elevator. Also in the busiest BART stations the escalators would stay on all the time.

4. Truncating Dublin trains at 24 Th Street/Mission. Not sure how feasible this is right now.

Any other suggestions?
1. Doesn't make a difference, since the signs are LED and use little electricity. Implementing the system of turning off/on the signs will cost more than the electricity savings.
2. Yeah, they should do that.
3. Agreed
4. Currently not feasible.