Railroad Forums 

• Hire On

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1222802  by selectrovert

where are the best locations to work at looking from the standpoint of road work, maxing out miles quickly? (CN)
 #1224921  by esprrfan

where are the best locations to work at looking from the standpoint of road work, maxing out miles quickly? (CN)

Whoa there killer, as a new hire you'll be on a extra board YOU HAVE NO SAY OR CONTROL over how many miles you'll get per pay period. If your 1st out (available) on the E board and a conductor takes the trip off thats the train you get be it 252 miles or be it 25. Once you get whiskers (seniority) then you can bid on jobs with various miles. At most terminals expect that to take YEARS.
 #1224982  by slchub

There are so many factors to consider in this scenario. Railroad, location, etc.

I now that the class I was in back in Salt Lake City in 2004 (Union Pacific RR) has most guys still holding the extra board barely hanging on while over at Amtrak I'm got a regular job as a engineer in the yard, 2nd trick (I've only been with Amtrak for 6 years), while there are some new hire assistant conductors who can hold a regular job on the road or yard in many places across the system.