Railroad Forums 

• BNSF Alliance NE

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1190715  by JayBee

All three locations will be colder than you are used to in North Carolina obviously. Dilworth is located close to a metropolitan area, the other two are smaller, Alliance about 9,000, Grand Forks about 53k. Dilworth is part of the Fargo, ND/Moorhead, MN metropolitan area with a bit over 200k. Alliance, NE is the main base for the Powder River coal fields
recently it has seen an increase in non-coal traffic as BNSF routes divertable traffic away from the Northern Corridor because of burgeoning Oil traffic (Dilworth and Grand Forks). Grand Forks would see the least traffic (but growing), toss-up between the other two with Dilworth seeing the most diversity. Grand Forks and Fargo have major Universities and more Airline service, plus Amtrak. Dilworth would see biggest spousal work opportunity if that is important. North Dakota has the lowest unemployment in the USA, under 4%. Anything specific ask away.
 #1192113  by jz441

Alliance NE is part of the system seniority.
 #1210210  by Engineer Spike

I'll second the system seniority. Lincoln, NE is a large terminal, which is relatively close, if you get cut off. I don't know about Denver, but Galseburg, IL is big too.
 #1210243  by Desertdweller

I used to handle coal trains from Alliance that were brought down by crews based there. They were handed off to the NKCR at Sterling.

I think that was a day's run for those crews.

Alliance is where two ex-CBQ lines cross: an east-west line that goes from Lincoln to Billings, and a north-south one that runs from Denver on up to Edgemont and the PRB.

Should be some good opportunities up there.

Also, I have worked in a lot of places where small railroads interchanged with the UP and/or the BNSF. The BNSF crews seem more satisified.

Les
 #1213060  by rch

If you're looking long term, between the three, I'd hire out where I get system seniority (Nebraska). If you want to keep a job this winter, go to North Dakota.