Railroad Forums 

• CN chicago seniority district questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1177222  by EVDebs

I was wondering if anyone on this forum knows what seniority district would cover conductors hiring on at Markham Yard near Homewood, IL? As I understand it new hires get bounced around a lot and I may not work at that location if hired, so I was wondering where they could send a person that hires on at that location. Thank You.
 #1177939  by CPHOG

you can get bumped anywhere on the old IC "illinois central" line, Cn split districts by what mergers they aquired ie: grand trunk, wisconsin southern, and illinois central, etc. they gave those guys prior rights. My buddy just left CP for the CN, hired outta Greenbay, has to drive all the way to schiller park to work, sometimes superior Wi, someone can bump you outta markham from new orleans, or jackson miss, if they wanted or somewhere in Iowa, not trying to scare you but pack a travel bag to last quite sometime, but at 36 a hour who wouldnt do it, sucks they dont pay for hotel or mileage
 #1178953  by Deval

Each of CN's previous railroads maintain separate crew bases in Chicago. IC crews work the IC, GTW work the GTW and WC work the WC. The only exception is the EJ&E, which was officially merged into the WC, but still run separately at the moment.

If you get hired on with CN in Chicago, you will be hired on for the IC, GTW or WC, and work that specific district.