Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by R36 Combine Coach

The M-2 Cosmopolitans have been with us for 40 years now, since April 1973. The first cars were accepted for service on April 5 (40 years ago today) and Monday, April 16 was the first official run, followed by regular service on the Stamford Locals. By April 19, the first 16 cars were all accepted for passenger service, with regular deliveries continuing from that point on. The 144 cars of the base order were in service by mid 1974.

A familar sight for New York and Connecticut residents for four decades, the M-2s will soon be a memory, succeeded by a new geneations of Cosmopolitans.
  by DutchRailnut

And now we finally get rid of those over aged roach infested pieces of .............
  by NH2060

DutchRailnut wrote:And now we finally get rid of those over aged roach infested pieces of .............
Now now let's not get too sentimental :-P
  by truck6018

DutchRailnut wrote:And now we finally get rid of those over aged roach infested pieces of .............
Tell us how you really feel!
  by elec tech

R36 Combine Coach wrote:The first cars were accepted for service on April 5 (40 years ago today)

And on April 6 (40 years ago) was the the first time of many that those hunks of crap broke down.
  by kitn1mcc

40 years not bad for pos
  by DutchRailnut

If it were not for that imbecile Governor Rowland, these POS would have been replaced 10 years ago.
Thank God I did not vote for that idiot.
  by Clean Cab

They were built for 20 to 25 years of service based upon regular rebuilds every 10 years. Its amazing they've lasted this long. I will not miss them.
  by Ridgefielder

Clean Cab wrote:They were built for 20 to 25 years of service based upon regular rebuilds every 10 years. Its amazing they've lasted this long. I will not miss them.
Honestly I think it's a huge testament to the professionalism of MNR shop forces and crews that these things are still in service despite everything.
  by Clean Cab

No, its more a testimate to how well built the cars were despite a primative electrical design.
Last edited by Clean Cab on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by pbass

I enjoyed running the M1's/M2's.It was difficult to have a day when every car in every consist operated as they were designed to do,but when they did,it was a pleasurable experience.Some cars had personalities of their own-some liked warm sunny days,some like nights & weekends and so on.They were too tempermental,too much electronics & other mechanical issues.When the M1's were new,they won 3 engineering awards for their design.I favor the esthetics of the M series design and find all classes to be very attractive,others will disagree but that is their taste.These M series cars played a big part in bringing people to ride the trains.
  by DutchRailnut

ok now lets get back to the M-2's ;-) you can't compare one piece of s*** to other S****, just sayin....
  by pbass

Say what you like Japp,without the M2's,we would not have jobs.
  by Steamboat Willie

I'm sure we can all attest that our wallets benefited from the lack of reliability of the M-2's (or basically all of the older M series NHV equipment.) Their time has come and gone and you can chalk me up as another grunt around here who won't miss them. I won't miss the lack of heat, non functioning A/C, shot airbags, non functioning dynamic brakes, disgusting bathrooms and floors that were held together in some spots by duct tape to name a few. And let's not forget the roaches.
  by Clean Cab

I remember one passenger that rode my trains used to call the M2's "Rolling Garbage Cans". So I think it is well past time to put out the trash!!!