Railroad Forums 

• Class I Stock Prices and Takeovers?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1078056  by JayBee

jstolberg wrote:
Regarding the Panama Canal improvements, I have a legal question. It would make sense for a post-Panamax container ship to pick up cargo from several Asian Pacific ports and drop off at several US Atlantic ports. For example, a single ship could stop in Jacksonville, Norfolk and New Jersey to unload. If a majority of the cargo was unloaded in Jacksonville and Norfolk, the height of the Bayonne Bridge wouldn't be an impediment. But can a foreign flagged carrier with a foreign crew stop at consecutive US ports?
Yes, a foreign flagged ship can make consecutive stops at US Ports, What they cannot do is pickup freight at one US Port for delivery to another US Port. They can pickup freight from multiple US Ports for delivery overseas and v.v. The reason that the big Containerships make multiple stops in Asia, but try to limit the number of stops in the USA, is the very undeveloped nature of landside container transport in Asia. When the big containerships are in port they aren't making money for their owners. Ideally from the Ship Lines POV they would make only one stop in the USA, as a practical matter they usually make two stops.