• Westen Route single tracking

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by roberttosh

Trying to find out when the Western route was single tracked through southern Maine. Am pretty sure it happened in steps as there was even some double track through downtown Saco as recently as the 70's or early 80's if I remember correctly; which I believe was later cut back to create the present day siding at Surf. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
  by MEC407

Great question. I hope we get some responses from the B&M historians out there. :-)
  by 130MM

From a copy of a hand written document titled: "Rail Available through Single Tracking Projects" dated 12/31/67 created by a "R.F.G." who, I was told, was the Valution Engineer of the B&M at the time, see below. Dates noted are "Date of Completion". Don't know exactly what that means in relation to when the rail was removed, track removed from service, etc. so take them for what they are worth.

Rollinsford, N.H. to No. Berwick, Me. (8.0 miles) 12-23-59
No. Berwick East to Kennebunk, Me. (10.7 miles) 3-16-60
Dover, N.H. (0.8 miles) 11-17-60
Grand Beach - Rigby, Me. (5.7 miles) 9-5-61
Kennebunk to Biddeford, Me. (7.5 miles) 6-19-64
Rockingham, N.H. to Dover, N.H. (11.3 miles) 5-24-66
Biddeford to Grand Beach, Me. (3.0 miles) 11-17-67

Removals after 12-31-67 are, obviously, not shown.

DAW
  by MEC407

Thanks for the info, 130MM!
  by edbear

RFG was Robert F. Garner.
  by jbvb

ETT #4 (4-Jan-64) shows double track Wilmington Jct. - Dover Arch, Broadway - Rollinsford, Kennebunk - Grand Beach.

ETT #14 (30-Oct-66) shows Lowell Jct - Rockingham Jct., Broadway - Rollinsford, AR Biddeford (Alfred Road) - Grand Beach.

Neither mentions North Berwick under D-151, but they refer to it as a bi-directional CTC second track under 265.

ETT #21 (28-Nov-76) shows Lowell Jct. - Plaistow as double track, with CTC sidings at Newfields, Dover, North Berwick and AR - Ocean Park.

I recall Plaistow - Newfields being single-tracked circa 1968.
  by MEC407

More good info. Thanks, jbvb!
  by roberttosh

Thanks guys! I was pretty certain that the Main St grade crossing in Saco was double track back in the early/mid 70's, so now I'm sure.