• Abandoned Trolley Lines

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SCB2525

I understand this point, but would it be possible?

by R3 Rider

I've got a totally separate question -- I've noticed a set of tracks that either go straight or veer off to the right as the trolleys turn to the left on the 15th-Juniper-15th loop. Do/did these go anywhere?

by Clearfield

R3 Rider wrote:I've got a totally separate question -- I've noticed a set of tracks that either go straight or veer off to the right as the trolleys turn to the left on the 15th-Juniper-15th loop. Do/did these go anywhere?
Currently a storage track, but I've heard it was part of the original Market st subway loop alignment.
  by EugeneV.Debs

Obviously Septa would never do this. Though as of a few years ago one of the paved over lines, the 50 (4th and 5th St.) was still on the to-do list of the DVRPC. I've also read on the Philly_Traction list serve that certain lines like the 47 were considered possible candidates for paving over during times of oil shortages.
To actually use the tracks you would have to fill in gaps, re-align, re-surface, grade, restore the electrical infrastructure, etc., etc. So yes, if some museum group was interested and had a lot of money, then maybe. Also, if there was some major world crisis then maybe. Maybe if somebody wanted to pull an expensive prank then you'd see a trolley on some paved over track.
I will say one thing though. Track usually has a life of 80- 100 years. Some track that was buried is only 25 years old and with some work would be serviceable.
Just as an aside some track at Tasker and Passyunk has popped up. Same goes with a turnoff at Snyder and 7th.
  by EugeneV.Debs

EugeneV.Debs wrote: I've also read on the Philly_Traction list serve that certain lines like the 47 were considered possible candidates for paving over during times of oil shortages.
oops, I meant they had a plan to uncover paved over lines that still had relatively new track.

by Wdobner

The steel in the track may have a life of 80-100 years, but the concrete or asphalt around that track will not last that long, especially since the flangeways in the girder track provide a transport system for water which will freeze and thaw every winter, not to mention differential heating and loading. I'm not real familiar with the PTC track substructure, but I believe for some trolley systems it was common practice to lay their girder track on small, distantly spaced wooden ties which were then covered with paving blocks, concrete or asphalt, and if that was done on some of the abandoned tracks here then it's a good bet that those tracks are unusable today. Also, just because the track is buried under asphalt doesn't mean the track has been under no stress for that time. Asphalt is a flexible pavement and it would transmit a large percentage of the load placed on it by things like buses and large delivery vans right down onto the tracks, potentially warping or even destroying them. If SEPTA were to actually get serious about bringing back their trolley systems they'd do much better to dig up every section of track on a given line to be reinstated and rebuild it all to at least the standards to which the rebuilt Subway-Surface lines are being done to, if not fully to modern LRV standards. The Subway Surface rebuilds minimize the stress placed on the adjacent concrete or asphalt through the rubber coating around the I-beam rail. Additionally the single point turnouts should be replaced with more conventional two point turnouts to allow fof the operation of heavier and faster LRVs which are not quite so forgiving to poor track as the K-cars and PCCs are. By making the neccesary improvements to the track rather than just digging up '25 year old track' (undoubtedly in the minority of our infrastructure buried under asphalt) you can assure that the track you reinstated won't have motorists complaining in 5-10 years after you scrape off the asphalt over it and start running trolleys.

by Chriss

I'll add that to have a smooth road surface, you'd have to actually remove the entire top layer of pavement, which means that even if the track underneath is in perfect condition, you'd be uncovering the old road surface which would probably need replacement.

by Mdlbigcat

Chriss wrote:I'll add that to have a smooth road surface, you'd have to actually remove the entire top layer of pavement, which means that even if the track underneath is in perfect condition, you'd be uncovering the old road surface which would probably need replacement.
SEPTA did exactly that when they tore up 58th St between Chester and Woodland Avenues to build the detour for the 13 a few years ago.