• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by dtravisjr

The cars that have been seen in Binghamton/Kirkwood look to be stone cars for barrett paving in Binghamton, not ballast. I reported on what I thought were tie gons a few weeks ago, but they may have actually been empty (it was late at night and dark, oops) as they never went east or were unloaded. There have been quite a few MOW/hi rail trucks working on and around the ROW for the past month or so. Thats been about it.
  by SecaucusJunction

Figures, we seem to have work going on north, south, and west of Binghamton, but none of the rumored work to the East. Same story as every year. Something must be up because reports had work starting nearly 2 months ago...
  by malfunctjct

SJ-
Lots of negativity recently! Ties have been marked for replacement east of Binghamton. So track work is coming. Just because it didn't start when originally stated doesn't mean a thing....Patience....
  by SecaucusJunction

Not to worry malfunctjct... Southern Tier folks are some of the most patient around... we've had no choice but to be for the past decade or so! Doesn't mean we don't get riled up every now and then when we think things might be turning around. I know it's coming but when there's not much evidence of things going on when we expected, you start to wonder whats up. If you happen to stumble on any information of when work might start or any other specifics, please let me know!
  by chief

Stopped at Callicoon today found Several piles of new stick rail stacked between tower hill and station. Ties marked near black church rd.More to come.
  by Steve F45

posted on the nysw yahoo group that fresh ballast has been dropped between the rails on starucca viaduct and gulf summit.
  by SecaucusJunction

Also posted on nysw yahoo that 19 ballast cars came south from Syracuse today. Maybe for continued work on the Tier?
  by Matt Langworthy

Maybe... but NYSW might need the ballast elsewhere, too.
  by chief

BH-1 showed up this morning and removed all the TTX Flats that were stored on track 2 (control siding) between CP- Nobodys and Narrowsburg.
right behind him stone train showed up and spread stone between CP-Nobodys and CP-Narrowsburg.One of the employees who is a good friend said that a new train should be running by the end of June. No other info. for now.Please don't ask. I will contact when more is available
  by Autoblock

Ya the extra ballast cars last night made for a nice sized SU 100! There is a Sperry inspection truck parked in Callicoon which i had thought was done already by Holland track services a month or so ago maybe someone else can elaborate on this.
  by L&HR C&S

The Holland truck was track geometry (surface, wide gauge, low joints, ect). Sperry truck is the internal rail testing.
  by chief

BH-1 stone train dropped stone today from CP-Nobodys to Shohola. Train to be picked up tonight by SU-99. No other information
  by northjerseybuff

things are coming along nicely. Crew qualifications coming soon? lets hope so
  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:things are coming along nicely. Crew qualifications coming soon? lets hope so

After looking at the disrespectful and rather condescending posts in the NYSW yahoo list towards "chief", I am inclined to believe these people in the know will not share any more information they have on any new potential trains that are in the works... Let us hope I'm wrong!!

Chief, your information is very helpful, so please keep posting!! Thanks!
  by chief

Thanks for those words, I am 70 years old and have worked for 5 railroads in my life. I have many friends that still work for RR. I have a son who is a Engineer on CSX.A grandson who is a Conductor for Conrail. I post just the facts as i get them from people in the loop or what i know or see myself.
i have 2 cousins who for CP & NS and they are in the big loop. Do to the guy that called me a kid on the yahoo group i have decided not to post for a while on yahoo group. Any info will be posted here
Steve a k a Chief ps; How do i post photos