• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SecaucusJunction

There's really no reason to get riled up about any of this. I just merely asked the question, since they are drastically fixing up the line between Binghamton and PJ, if they would be interested in making investments that might run trains faster east of PJ. Anything near 12-14 freights per day on the line would bring the whole system to a standstill. No one really knows the long term plans for the line, as I have heard several possibilities. You're right though, I'm sure it will start small... I'd just be happy to see anything! Never implied that they were going to abandon the PRR or move traffic off the Lehigh.. the only traffic that may be moved are cars out of NJ that are dropped for CP in Pennsylvania to bring north on the Sunbury Sub. We'll see what happens.
  by K4Pacific

12 & 13T. Plus inland port trains. NJT and MN are aware freight will move on the NS track.
  by waldwickrailfan

Does anyone know when the service East of Bingo will start? I would guess the end of summer at best, I may be a little off
  by blockline4180

waldwickrailfan wrote:Does anyone know when the service East of Bingo will start? I would guess the end of summer at best, I may be a little off

Well, now k4 would have told us all now wouldn't he?????

They will start when NS is ready to start them!!
  by SecaucusJunction

Technically, they could probably start tomorrow using NYSW pilots to Port Jervis. NS already has qualified crews east of Sparrow. It wouldn't shock me to see 12T/13T combined with the current H07 train to work the local traffic at CH and SF. But no one really knows and they probably have their reasons for starting at the time they do. Nothing about this whole process has progressed quickly...
  by blockline4180

SecaucusJunction wrote:Technically, they could probably start tomorrow using NYSW pilots to Port Jervis. NS already has qualified crews east of Sparrow. It wouldn't shock me to see 12T/13T combined with the current H07 train to work the local traffic at CH and SF. But no one really knows and they probably have their reasons for starting at the time they do. Nothing about this whole process has progressed quickly...
Stop being so bitter and have patience!!!
Like I said, they will start running them when NS is ready to!!
  by Autoblock

Well we can guarantee there wont be any big trains until the track work is completed! The west end of the line is still needs some big help, in some spots the ties are rotted out under the rails and the ballast has dropped away. I was in Kirkwood last wknd and does"nt look like much has changed, it will with time tho. NYS&W are doing rail work up and down the line and the hi-railers are almost a daily occurance now.
  by northjerseybuff

its starting.......
  by blockline4180

northjerseybuff wrote:its starting.......

What is????
  by waldwickrailfan

blockline4180 wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:its starting.......

What is????
Track work...
  by SecaucusJunction

waldwickrailfan wrote:
Track work...

Where?
  by Jtgshu

SecaucusJunction wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:
Track work...

Where?
On the tracks, silly!

(sorry, I had to.....before someone beat me to it)

Anyone care to share any ACCURATE info about where the trackwork might be starting?
  by dtravisjr

LOTS of ties marked with orange dots through Kirkwood and down to Great Bend and probably beyond...No signs of tie gons, equipment etc yet though. Only thing I did see this past weekend was a Tartaglia truck picking up some scrap ties from a small project they did last summer, mostly some switch timbers by the looks of it. I'll be glad to post if/when I see ties being unloaded on this part of the line.

Dave
  by chief

Update
The tier is in the best shape i have seen in 15 years between Deposit & Sparrow.
2 Weeks ago signals were inspected from 174.4 to 89.9
Today 4/23/12 track inspection truck was working west from Sparrow, see susquehanna groups for pictures.
1 extra train is going to be here faster than you think---stay tuned
  by tsrps

Just some observations. There were about 10 pieces of yellow gear at Campbell Hall on Sunday, There is also quite a few pieces of ribbon rail on the ground at the Port Jervis yard. NJT work crews have been there over the last few weeks.