• Portsmouth Navy Yard switcher on PH-1

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by GP40MC1118

There is still one more GE centercab left on base - a 44T GE.

The 65T GE is reportedly headed to the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic
for duty as a switcher in Derby Shops. Another possibility is to
the Downeast Scenic RR that is reopening portions of the Calais
mainline.

Dave

by tom18287

did it go over the sarah long bridge?

by Finch

I saw what I assume is that same switcher still sitting at Rockingham Jct. today around 4:30 PM when I passed on the Downeaster.

by truman

You are correct Mr. Finch. It is the same unit. It didn't go far. They left it on the Portsmouth runner with the rest of PH-1's consist. It'll probably be there till after the holiday. Love those marker lights!
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

>Whatever service they did recieve anyway>

In the last years, the only service I know of was the removal of spent nuclear materials from submarines.

PBM

by truman

Thats pretty much it, though from time to time something else went in or out, inter-base transfers of equipment, or surplus equipment moved elsewhere. Its funny that no one ever hears about new fuel arriving though. The SRE's on base just get a call; "the fuel is here, go gas up the sub".
There was a small fleet of freight cars there at one time, mainly flats and tanks, I don't know what became of them.
  by emd_16645

GP40MC1118 wrote:There is still one more GE centercab left on base - a 44T GE.

The 65T GE is reportedly headed to the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic
for duty as a switcher in Derby Shops. Another possibility is to
the Downeast Scenic RR that is reopening portions of the Calais
mainline.

Dave
I doubt that MMA would just now be looking for a 'shop switcher'. They have surplus power and with 5 geeps and now 7 B23s, I really suspect that they would be all set for covering Derby. The Downeast Scenic is a decent bet, but I would be surprised that they would try to collect the unit at this time, being as far as I know the line to Washington Junction is not open to rail traffic, with several crossings in need of rebuilding.

by Somethingorother

Last spring there was a DOD caboose and two flats sitting in portsmouth yard for a couple weeks that must have gone in/out of the base. I'm dying to see a train go over the sarah long bridge.

by tom18287

Somethingorother wrote:Last spring there was a DOD caboose and two flats sitting in portsmouth yard for a couple weeks that must have gone in/out of the base. I'm dying to see a train go over the sarah long bridge.

me too.

by cpf354

There's a report on the Guilford Sightings Yahoo group of the switcher headed east on EDNM on the evening of Sept 8.

by MEC407

Apparently it was at Northern Maine Junction as of 10:30 AM today, according to GRSSightings.