Railroad Forums 

• Portland Waterfront Rail Ops (Yard 8, Intermodal, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1619363  by A215

Former scrap yard now owned by Casco Bay Steel does get steel. Internal Rigby customers are no longer in service. One has been gone for most of a decade and NEPW moved out of the other probably 5ish years ago? Around the same time as they left the Wells location.
 #1619496  by Cosakita18

The intention is to replace all 3 ships regularly sailing the Iceland-North America Lane with 1,000-1,200 TEU ships.

The IMT is in the early phases of planning a dredging project that would allow them to handle ships a bit larger than that but right now ~1,200-1,300 is about as much ship as the IMT can handle.

Not sure exactly what the Yard 8 intermodal ramp re-rebuild is going to entail, but it can't be much worse than what's there.
 #1623309  by fromway

What has been described in the June 3 edditon of the BDN as the "largest containership to arrive in Portland". Article sttes that it arrived from Iceland with mixed items(frozen, commercial and general merchandise. It states that it will go to Halifax next. Who knows if this is the start of more activity at Portland.
 #1623382  by markhb

Cosakita18 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:14 pm The IMT is in the early phases of planning a dredging project that would allow them to handle ships a bit larger than that but right now ~1,200-1,300 is about as much ship as the IMT can handle.
Is that in conjunction with the overall harbor dredging project that has been talked about (but hasn't found funding yet). or are they making separate plans?
 #1640767  by newpylong

There is a wild rumor going around Billerica that with the Casco dredging CN is interested is redeveloping the old BM Baked Bean plant and the adjacent marina into a new container port. They would buy back and run the GT the whole way. I'm sure CSX would love that to happen right in their new back yard. It may prod them to do something on the Turners branch.
 #1640768  by Goddraug

I’m a die-hard rail expansion proponent, through and through. That said, such a concept sounds like it would be the biggest pain to pull off. There’s the immediate questions of the current plans for the B&M plant redevelopment, then there’s working out the repurchasing of the GT and rebuilding the segment back down to East Deering.

That also seems like an incredibly specific rumor so, who knows.
 #1640783  by NHV 669

I heard that rumor two months ago from the SLR side. If the IMT isn't handling any rail traffic, and CN gave up on what minimal containers they were sending to Auburn 10 years ago, a sudden 180 seems odd. That and the whole thing would be right in a residential area with little room to expand.
 #1640784  by CN9634

CN is looking for another Atlantic port but it seems unlikely Portland would be a good candidate unless they’ve fictionally encountered issues at the preferred locations in Quebec and Nova Scotia. Even still, Portland would require massive investment and I don’t see a 15000TEU ship getting up the channel either… not to mention it adds a customs point. Roux Institute was going to use the site although that isn’t set in stone.
 #1640787  by F74265A

Given the space needed and the mega ships, that location in Portland doesn’t make sense to me. But who knows.

Signs have been pointing to Sydney NS and the proposal to build a massive container there. CN already has reinvested in the owner of the OOS former cn mainline to Sydney. See the CN topic thread
 #1640791  by bostontrainguy

newpylong wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm There is a wild rumor going around Billerica that with the Casco dredging CN is interested is redeveloping the old BM Baked Bean plant and the adjacent marina into a new container port. They would buy back and run the GT the whole way. I'm sure CSX would love that to happen right in their new back yard. It may prod them to do something on the Turners branch.
Can't get under the bridge.