• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Matt Langworthy

ctclark1 wrote:I concur with BR&P. I don't think any block signals would cause a train to stop on the bridge.
I also agree. IMO, dispatch would have a westbound train on the bridge proceed to Silver Springs and wait there.
  by thebigham

New John Kucko pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by thebigham

New John Kucko pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Matt Langworthy

Speaking of Mr. Kucko, he had a great presentation at the RGVRRM annual dinner this past Saturday. It mostly featured the Letchworth viaduct. When he stated Norfolk Southern's plans to raise the speed limit on the bridge from 25 mph to 35 mph, I did raise the subject of automated gates to keep trespassers of the new bridge. As per John- while gates were considered early in the planning stages for the new bridge, they were deemed impractical due to heavy winter snowfall. Given the amount of snow we've gotten this winter (and other winters in the past), I can definitely understand his point.
  by C2629

Since the great majority of tresspassing on the bridge takes place in the warmer months, would it be advantages to have gates from say April first to December first ?
  by Matt Langworthy

C2629 wrote:Since the great majority of tresspassing on the bridge takes place in the warmer months, would it be advantages to have gates from say April first to December first ?
I thought about same thing while driving from the dinner to my gig (to photograph a local band). I'm guessing seasonal gates were probably part of the planning discussions for the new bridge, but I will ask John about them anyway.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Scott K

Matt, if you mean John K, while you're at it, ask him if he knows anything about the PRR ROW/Greenway. I haven't noticed a single word about it from him. You'd think he'd say something about it sometime, since it runs underneath his favorite bridge.
  by Matt Langworthy

Is there something specific about the Greenway you want me to ask him? FWIW, John seems to be more interested in active RR lines than trails.
  by thebigham

John Kucko pic

"Fading Fast: Explosives bring down huge part of 1875 rail trestle here at Letchworth SP this afternoon. 60 ton truss and 20 ton tower collapse into the gorge. They'll be removed immediately. All that remains is one tower. Heavy snow hampered efforts to get footage. There may be a GoPro angle I'll post later."
  by Scott K

Matt Langworthy wrote:Is there something specific about the Greenway you want me to ask him? FWIW, John seems to be more interested in active RR lines than trails.
Oh, nothing I need you to ask about, I just wondered if he was aware that it was an old ROW. Don't know if he's interested in historical lines or the old canal, but thought he might have mentioned it sometime on his page if he knew about it.
  by smph50

Hello all!

This afternoon, the http://www.trainweb.org/wnyhdc/hdc18.htm#mar18 Heritage DiscoveRY Center Buffalo took possession of one of the main bridge support bases from the historic Erie Railroad Portageville Bridge. We want to thank the Norfolk Southern Corp for making the arrangements for the HDC to preserve a piece of this 143 year old bridge at the museum. Also Thanks to member Lynn Heintz for making the contacts with the railroad to save this historic artifact. If you look closely at the base of the support, you will see the 1875 date plate on the support as it is unloaded from the truck. Once the weather breaks, we will prepare a permanent display on the museum grounds. Also thanks to Stephen Grekulak for providing the photos of the unloading.

Joe Kocsis - President WNYRHS
fsPB31518cc.jpg
  by MarkT

I guess for everyone's info, I went to the park Saturday and all access south of the Perry entrance is closed. IDK if for the construction or more likely just seasonal, but you are not driving up there. I was surprised by that
  by D Alex

Considering how popular the old bridge was with those who wished to "join the great beyond", I wonder what sort of security the new bridge has?
  by thebigham

John Kucko picture:

"The Cleanup: Minutes after the last of the 1875 railroad trestle at Letchworth SP was imploded, ironworkers and operator engineers remove the part of the tower that collapsed into the Genesee River. They will have this done by the end of today. Remarkable what they have done here the last two years."