• Portageville Bridge Replacement, Future Tier Traffic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by blockline4180

Yes, then I'm assuming the R&N/Lehigh line into Allentown and east on NS?
  by cr9615

blockline4180 wrote:Yes, then I'm assuming the R&N/Lehigh line into Allentown and east on NS?
Correct. As I understand it, CP will technically terminate the train at Allentown and NS will bring it to NJ with their own crews. (BTW, I was vague last night because it wasn't common knowledge at the time, it's on a few sites this morning so it's not a secret or anything)
  by spidey3

lvrr325 wrote:Because three or four people's wells got contaminated somehow...
It's not just a worry about three or four people's wells getting contaminated. It is a worry about the water supply for several major cities getting contaminated!
  by Matt Langworthy

cr9615 wrote:
blockline4180 wrote:Yes, then I'm assuming the R&N/Lehigh line into Allentown and east on NS?
Correct. As I understand it, CP will technically terminate the train at Allentown and NS will bring it to NJ with their own crews. (BTW, I was vague last night because it wasn't common knowledge at the time, it's on a few sites this morning so it's not a secret or anything)
Any idea when the train(s) would reach Portageville?

Edit: I am referring to the time of day...
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by K4Pacific

WELL THE SYMBOLS ON THE ST LINE HAVE BEEN 38Z AND 39Z. T AND Z SOUND SO SIMILAR ON THE HORN THAT I MIGHT HAVE MISSED ONE.
  by ANDY117

I always thought it was 38T eastbound, and westbound if it had garbage it was a 39Z, regular manifest was 39T. But I could be mistaken.
  by roadster

I am glad to see that CSX's marketing plan of, "If you don't like our service, go somewhere else", is working so well.
  by K4Pacific

Road Trains over Portage Bridge

NS 12T...Enola to Buffalo------------------------Daily
NS 13T...Buffalo to Enola------------------------Daily
NS 22K...Chicago to Pan Am-------------------Daily
NS 23K…Pan Am to Chicago-------------------Daily
NS 205... Pan Am to Chicago-------------------Daily
NS 206...Chicago to Pan Am--------------------Daily
NS 309...Gang Mills To Bellevue---------------Daily
NS 310...Bellevue to Gang Mills----------------Daily
NS 38T...Buffalo to Allentown-------------------Daily
NS 39T...Allentown to Buffalo-------------------Daily
(These two trains are CP Rail powered trains.)

Please add as you see fit.
  by blockline4180

I just needed to point out this pertinent information, but my friend thinks there is a 96.5% that the eastern end of the Tier will see through freights by 2012! :P
  by Old & Weary

On 9/24/10 a long Westbound with mostly covered hoppers outlawed at Spring Road Attica during the afternoon. When recrewed and underway toward Buffalo, it was clearly identified several times by the crew and dispatcher as "H1R" and not the more expected 12T or 309. With H2R gone could this be a long distance local or extra job in addition to the regular trains?
  by poppyl

Old & Weary wrote:On 9/24/10 a long Westbound with mostly covered hoppers outlawed at Spring Road Attica during the afternoon. When recrewed and underway toward Buffalo, it was clearly identified several times by the crew and dispatcher as "H1R" and not the more expected 12T or 309. With H2R gone could this be a long distance local or extra job in addition to the regular trains?
Just speculating here, but from your description of the consist, it sounds like an extra comprised primarily of empty frack sand hoppers. Given the number of sand hoppers in-bound to Wellsboro, Horseheads, and Towanda, I could understand extras in both directions for this as demand warrants -- maybe weekly.

Poppyl
  by Farmer Joe

Old & Weary wrote:On 9/24/10 a long Westbound with mostly covered hoppers outlawed at Spring Road Attica during the afternoon. When recrewed and underway toward Buffalo, it was clearly identified several times by the crew and dispatcher as "H1R" and not the more expected 12T or 309. With H2R gone could this be a long distance local or extra job in addition to the regular trains?
You probably saw a salt train off of the R&S. I'm guessing that salt traffic is up and with H2R gone, something has to get that salt from Silver Springs to Buffalo. I was wondering how they were going to do that. I suspect it will probably run as needed.
  by Old & Weary

Although there were a few G&W hoppers mixed in, most of the train was made up of what appeared to be beat up old grain hoppers-I forget the reporting marks. There were also a few boxcars, empty auto racks, three empty TTX 4-truck heavy duty flat cars and and some loaded tankers on the back. All in all it did not look like the R&S interchange that H2R used to haul.
  by cr7535

The train was likely a 309, but since it outlawed, the H1R crew out of Buffalo went out to recrew it and bring it into Buffalo and were using their symbol. H1R is one of the many local symbols in Buffalo. There are no yard jobs in Buffalo, all crews are considered traveling switchers so there is more flexibility in where they can go.
Also, a couple corrections... I believe 12T and 13T are Allentown to Buffalo trains via the R&N. 205 & 206 do not go to Pan Am, they handle the intermodal traffic for Taylor (Scranton), the intermodal for Kenwood yard in Albany and the auto racks for SMS in Guilderland. They are 938/939 on the D&H and go to Kenwood.
12T and 13T have been considerably shorter on the west end with the renewed 309 and 310 running (usually at night).
The ethanol trains so far have run as a W8T (extra 38T).
309 & 310 have been doing the Silver Springs work most of the time, although there was a Buffalo to Silver Springs turn that ran at least once as a 60R since H2R was abolished.
  by K4Pacific

Good work. 12 and 13T run out of Enola with what little CN traffic routed Buffalo and vice versa as most CN traffic is routed down the CP/DH. Todays 12T was mostly a short cut of propane and WC covered hoppers hardly justifying 3 units. 13( short as well with 25 loaded salt and a few mixed.

Thanks for the updates. Let's triple check the 200s. In my memo order 22/23k did Delanson, but that's another thread. Somewhere is the original copy paste memo.