• Pope's Hill Station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by paulrail

The following link below is a nice shot of an MBTA commuter rail train near Victory Road in Dorchester. :wink: Years ago, the Old Colony RR and then the New Haven RR ran trains on this line.

There used to be a Station called "Pope"s Hill" which I think, but not sure, was located quite near this pictured location.

Does anyone know if this is true? Was the Station near Victory Road? There is a picture of the station in Arcadia's book about "The Red Line, Bridging the Charles river" or something similar in title.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A1

Curious.......

Paul

by jonnhrr

There was a Pope's Hill station on the Old Colony near Victory Road in Dorchester. There had been requests for a Red Line station there when the Braintree extension was built but the MBTA turned it down.

There were also stations at one time at Savin Hill, Harrison Square (near where the Ashmont line diverges today), and Neponset.

Jon
  by 130MM

paulrail wrote:The following link below is a nice shot of an MBTA commuter rail train near Victory Road in Dorchester. :wink: Years ago, the Old Colony RR and then the New Haven RR ran trains on this line.

There used to be a Station called "Pope"s Hill" which I think, but not sure, was located quite near this pictured location.

Does anyone know if this is true? Was the Station near Victory Road?

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... bydate%3A1

Curious.......

Paul
Hey, that's my picture!

I have a copy of a 1920 NH timetable (#79) which lists a Pope's Hill at milepost 4.28. You can see MP 4 in the picture as well as Victory Rd. UG bridge (which is MP 4.019). The next bridge south is Morrisey Ave. at MP 4.287. So it is conceivable that the station was actually located at Morrisey Blvd. Even in 1920 most trains passed this station without stopping -- at least according to the one page of the timetable of which I have a copy.

DAW