• Please help on Nscale recreation of Guilford Runs

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Sain Cai

First let me say hello.

Now for business. I am going to be creating a N scale layout of a few town where I live, Fitchburg, Gardner (my hometown) and probably the paper mill at Erving. Basically I was hoping someone can tell me what frieght (specific companies) was/is most widely hauled through this section.

I am going to be purchasing the new stock (unless some I have already will be one thats in the system), as I am going to try and have it repicated as close as possible.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Sain Cai on Mon May 14, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by jonnhrr

Through trains through this area carry paper from the paper mills in Maine west and eastbound supplies such as Kaolin slurry used in paper making. There are about 3 through freights each way plus a local from Fitchburg taht goes to Gardner and sometimes Otter River.

There is also coal going from Gardner to Mt. Tom via the Conn River line and also from the west to the Bow power station near Concord NH. There is also a daily intermodal train to/from Ayer.

Unfortunately if you model the present day and want local switching there are not a lot of industries in the stretch you describe. In Gardner you have New England Wooden Ware on the Heywood industrial track and the interchange with P&W at the yard. East of Gardner Maki Lumber gets a carload of lumber once in a while.

In Fitchburg itself there is the United Farmers Co-op (feed grain). East of town toward Leominster there are some customers that get plastic pellets I believe (Plastican?). I see a lot of covered hoppers at the yard there where it looks like they are transloaded to trucks.

Going west from Gardner I believe there are some customers in Otter River, not sure if the paper facility in Erving is still a customer.

If it were me I would extend to Ayer where there are several industries plus the Hill Yard where the intermodal originates, and the connection to CSX via Worcester, plus you could cheat a little and restore the Ford auto rack facility.

Try this site for mileposts, a listing of industries and other useful stuff such as loco roster:

http://home.comcast.net/~petlick/grs.htm

Hope this helps. Jon

by Sain Cai

Thanks John.

I do plan on having a few paper mills, Crocker in Fitchburg, as well as Seaboard Folding Box (where I used to work).

In gardner, I planned on the yard of course, as well as the old George Bent or Modern Contract. maybe the Heywood/Wakefield furniture place also.

In Erving, the mill I think is on the route, if not, then it is now lmao, maybe some of Millers River

I would have to do more research if I do any other places then the 3 forementioned, but thanks again for the ideas.

by roberttosh

As John pointed out, Paper/Pulp from Maine makes up a large majority of WB traffic and there is also some Lumber and Scrap Metal. EB there is Kaolin/Limestone/Chemicals for the Paper mills, as well as Coal, Cement, Plastics, Feed Grain/Wheat, Pulpboard, Lumber, Veg Oils & Syrups, Chemicals/LPG and Steel. There are obviously other odds and ends, but that's probably 95% + of what goes through there.

by B&MYoshi

Erving paper mills is no longer a customer. However, they do have a spur, and it is not too much of a stretch to bring them back on line. Do remember, however, that they are a recycled paper facility. Hey, this might give you an oppurtunity for some trash service! :-)

There is another mill up the line that produces a special clay as well from the paper used in general construction, etc.

Good luck with this. I'm sure you agree that the land is absolutely beautiful. I cannot wait to see pictures.

P.S., since the Erving Depot is at strong risk of being torn down, that might be a nice structure to include also. The whole little section with the freight house to the water tower might be a nice little scene setter alongside the mill.

by NellsChoo

B&MYoshi wrote: P.S., since the Erving Depot is at strong risk of being torn down, that might be a nice structure to include also...
Insane, isn't it? :(