• Plaistow back on the agenda?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by artman

Rockingham Racer wrote:I just read the bill that created the commuter rail authority up there. One of the provisions is that the BofD has authority to contract service from the MBTA. This would be good news for Plaistow.

The problem is the bill also states that priority # 1 is getting the T from Lowell to Manchester. (Interesting they didn't mention Concord!) After that, it's anybody's game for service, so Plaistow will have to wait awhile, I think.

The legislature here just passed the same type of bill for our local area down here. The difference? Our commuter authority can tax! If it does, it's beaucoup dollars.

If you're interested the NH Bill is SB 75.
Plaistow could happen independently of Manchester. The MBTA is interested in overnighting (or whatever its called) their trains up there. They and Plaistow talked to GRS two years back and GRS said "no thank you unless it is double-tracked to Haverhill"

by Dick H

Please clarify "double track to Haverhill". It is already double track from just west of the former station in Plaistow to Haverhill.

The overnighting of trains in Bradford (Haverhill) has long been a sore spot with residents in the area there. Perhaps there is a large tract of land in Plaistow, far away from any residences, that would make a good layover yard. Otherwise, the residents and voters in Plaistow would make sure it did not come to their town...

Dick H

by Rockingham Racer

artman wrote:Plaistow could happen independently of Manchester. The MBTA is interested in overnighting (or whatever its called) their trains up there. They and Plaistow talked to GRS two years back and GRS said "no thank you unless it is double-tracked to Haverhill"
I suppose it could happen independently of Manchester, but a layover yard in Plaistow is going to raise holy hell with the locals, I'll bet. Also, it already is double track from Plaistow to Haverhill. And what would happen to the Bradford layover facility? Seems it'll be easy enough to deadhead back to Bradford, espcially since I hear both tracks are going to be CTC from Plaistow westward, and the crossover at Hall will not be a hand-throw once the project is finished. (I read that on one thread here.)

by NV290

The old Process Engineering facility on main street is huge. That would offer more then enough land for a station, parking lot and layover facility.

And as has already been pointed out, the double track begine right there. All it would take would be to buy the property (more then likley for little $$ as it's been vacant for years) and get a good engineering company to figure out the layout.