Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Terrapin Station

I was reported on SubChat that the cars entered service today on the (A), following the schedule of the R-160B test train. I confirmed this by finding them only 5 minutes behind schedule in the middle of the day. Here are my photos.

http://www.railfanwindow.com/gallery/album324

by Robert Paniagua

I see the R160A also has a railfan window too, so that we can see out front too!!
  by protrain

I was on my way to downtown Brooklyn on the F when I spotted an R160 set running on the A pulling in next to us where the lines join just north of Jay St-Borough Hall. Needless to say, I left the F and took a ride on the R160 from Jay Street to Utica Avenue. The cars, of course, are very similar in feel to the R143s with a few important changes.

The best feature is the new LED strip map. The sign is completely electronic and the information changes on the fly. There is the next stop in a special box, and then the following 9 stops (i.e. the next 10 stops). It also shows transfers/connections and handicapped accessibility. Then a "..." and 6 spaces for further stops, which rotate through the rest, indicating the relative number of the stop (i.e. 16th stop, 20th stop, etc.). At the end is a special box for the last stop as well. There is also a reasonably small video-type screen to the left of the LED strip map that shows the name of the train (in this case, 8 Av Express, Far Rockaway, JFK Airtrain with the blue circle A) and some short videos of information (one series was about the testing of these new "state-of-the-art" trains).

The female voice announcing the stops is a little different, but the "stand clear of the closing doors, please" sounds like the same guy found on the R142s and R143s currently. Personally, I like the female voice used on the Lexington Avenue line the best, and not the higher-pitched voice on the 2 train.

Anyway, the train ran very well and it will be great to see these come into service soon!

by Robert Paniagua

That's a nice ride you had on them, I also can't wait to see them, especially with all those bells and whistles, and it also reminded me of the R110B train, but the R160s are a lot better just based on what Ive seen and heard.

by Majinvegeta

lol its been a while since i posted lol. Well i do believe another R160 set has hit the A line besides the R160A. I Saw a 5 car set of 8727, 8728, 8729, 8730, 8731, 8732 on the broad channel layup

by protrain

I came upon the new train again on the A on Sunday at Broadway-Nassau heading uptown (didn't remember if it was the same set, although I guess it probably was). As noted in another thread, weekend service has been changed around quite a bit on the 8th Avenue Line as part of the current work going on (i.e. with the C train not running). The understanding I had was that the A was supposed to be running express through Brooklyn and Manhattan to 145th Street, then local. Well, after Canal Street we switched over to the local track; and the wonderful, dynamic strip map signage didn't change at all! It continued to show (and announce) express stops and service. Each time before a local stop the conductor had to hit the intercom before the automated annoucement kicked in (at which she was about 50% successful, and half of the time led to loud feedback from the PA) to say that the train was running local to 59th. It would have been a great way to show the flexibility of the new system - perhaps she hadn't been trained on how to use it, but I sure hope they have the ability to modify it in-route.

As an aside, I am not sure if it is true, but I read somewhere that the new voice announcements are synthesized (i.e. digitally mastered) and not actually recorded. It seems to me that this should allow a variety of annoucements to be created without too much effort. I feel like they should create modified announcements that are used on weekends to reflect the service actually running. For example:

This is Broadway-Nassau. Transfer is available to the 2, 3, and J shuttle trains. Please note that 4 and 5 train service is not operating at this station today. For 4 and 5 trains, take the J shuttle train at this station to Chambers Street.

OR

This is Utica Avenue. Transfer is available to the F train. Please note that F trains are replacing C trains in Brooklyn today.

The fact that the automated announcements continue to announce transfers that don't exist (i.e. transfer to the 1 at Chambers) on the weekends is particularly confusing to riders (who, on the weekends, tend to be more likely to be tourists or infrequent riders), and I only hear conductors intervene and clarify about 1/2 of the time. What do you think?

by Majinvegeta

if there's one thing i'm looking forward to besides the FIND system its the voice announcements !

by Love Train

protrain wrote:I came upon the new train again on the A on Sunday at Broadway-Nassau heading uptown (didn't remember if it was the same set, although I guess it probably was). As noted in another thread, weekend service has been changed around quite a bit on the 8th Avenue Line as part of the current work going on (i.e. with the C train not running). The understanding I had was that the A was supposed to be running express through Brooklyn and Manhattan to 145th Street, then local. Well, after Canal Street we switched over to the local track; and the wonderful, dynamic strip map signage didn't change at all! It continued to show (and announce) express stops and service. Each time before a local stop the conductor had to hit the intercom before the automated annoucement kicked in (at which she was about 50% successful, and half of the time led to loud feedback from the PA) to say that the train was running local to 59th. It would have been a great way to show the flexibility of the new system - perhaps she hadn't been trained on how to use it, but I sure hope they have the ability to modify it in-route.

As an aside, I am not sure if it is true, but I read somewhere that the new voice announcements are synthesized (i.e. digitally mastered) and not actually recorded. It seems to me that this should allow a variety of annoucements to be created without too much effort. I feel like they should create modified announcements that are used on weekends to reflect the service actually running. For example:

This is Broadway-Nassau. Transfer is available to the 2, 3, and J shuttle trains. Please note that 4 and 5 train service is not operating at this station today. For 4 and 5 trains, take the J shuttle train at this station to Chambers Street.

OR

This is Utica Avenue. Transfer is available to the F train. Please note that F trains are replacing C trains in Brooklyn today.

The fact that the automated announcements continue to announce transfers that don't exist (i.e. transfer to the 1 at Chambers) on the weekends is particularly confusing to riders (who, on the weekends, tend to be more likely to be tourists or infrequent riders), and I only hear conductors intervene and clarify about 1/2 of the time. What do you think?
That's the disadvantage of auto-announcements. Personally I think that C/Rs should be required to turn off the LCD signs and auto-announcements whenever there is a service change that the auto-announcements cannot adapt to. It can't be too hard for the C/Rs to manually announce stops once in a while, can it?

by Love Train

protrain wrote:I came upon the new train again on the A on Sunday at Broadway-Nassau heading uptown (didn't remember if it was the same set, although I guess it probably was). As noted in another thread, weekend service has been changed around quite a bit on the 8th Avenue Line as part of the current work going on (i.e. with the C train not running). The understanding I had was that the A was supposed to be running express through Brooklyn and Manhattan to 145th Street, then local. Well, after Canal Street we switched over to the local track; and the wonderful, dynamic strip map signage didn't change at all! It continued to show (and announce) express stops and service. Each time before a local stop the conductor had to hit the intercom before the automated annoucement kicked in (at which she was about 50% successful, and half of the time led to loud feedback from the PA) to say that the train was running local to 59th. It would have been a great way to show the flexibility of the new system - perhaps she hadn't been trained on how to use it, but I sure hope they have the ability to modify it in-route.

OR

Local, huh. I wonder why? Must've been some GO that ran the A local uptown, and it just wasnt mentioned in the MTA Service Advisories page. Personally I think all GOs that change service should be posted as service advisories because it can be important information in terms of travel time when a line that normally runs express runs local.

by Majinvegeta

umm when the R160A cars are done for the day what yard do they stay at? Rockaway park? piktin? 207th street?

by Robert Paniagua

Probably Rockaway and 207th. Maybe Jamaica Yard too, but I;m not too sure. I did see an R160 trainset sitting both at the Rockaway main yard and pn Track 3 at Rockaway Park Station (which is the track that's next to the south revenue track that's used for storage and MOW cars).

by Majinvegeta

yea there were a new set of R160s down at rockaway. 8727, 8728, 8729, 8730, 8731, and 8732. Saw them at the yonkers plant on top of flatbed trucks n.n

by Majinvegeta

Sry for the double post but i would like to add that i believe that the R160 Shipment is picking up! If you go to broad channel like every week there is a new set of R160s at the test track. Todays cars are 8847, 8846, 8845, 8844, and 8843

by Robert Paniagua

Oh good, hopefully more and more will come into service and a year from now, 70% or more will be taking passengers.