• PHILLY AREA: Need Help With Location ID

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by GOLDEN-ARM

The A/C is definately BO. The door is propped open, the interior door is open, and the side windows open. This is "comfort cab air conditioning", at it's worst. Those big wide nose cabs dont get much airflow, through the windows, and those cabs are like ovens. This is the only way to cool it, and it wasn't done to "spoil your shot". Those guys don't want bugs in their faces, or dust in their eyes, but they don't want to broil, either. a pretty sh@&%y trade-off, but I have been there many times myself. Not much air, actually flowing there, as most of it is deflected around the nose, rather than up into the door. To get an idea, of what it's like, turn off the A/C in your car, turn on the blower, only, and drive all day, with the windows closed. No fair opening the windows, the blower will let you know, how those guys feel, up there. Regards :(

by kpiersol

Here's another "jug shot" for ya! Looks like the H2O will get cool enough on a day like this - or is there some vodka in there??

http://kpiersol2.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=194613

by GOLDEN-ARM

Probably not vodka. Even though the era is correct, for that sort of "behavior", most crew members who did partake in the refreshments you described would not have been so careless, as to leave it in plain sight, where anyone coming onto the power, could find it. It did happen, but it was more clandestine, than the picture you have posted. Regards :wink:

by RDGAndrew

Golden-Arm, thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense, especially since the Reading shot that I referenced was also taken in a cold month.