Railroad Forums 

• Philadelphia Eagles Vs. Kansas City Chiefs - Super Bowl Transit

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1460190  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

With the announcement today 2/5 after yesterday's Eagles Super Bowl victory by the City that a
Parade will be held on Thursday in Center City is SEPTA, PATCO, NJT and Amtrak making plans to
handle the expected crowds that will attend this celebration on 2/8?

Did all of Philadelphia's transit agencies learn from what was experienced in 2008 when the Phillies
won the World Series when the rail system in particular was overwhelmed by the added ridership?

From updated reports this Parade will begin around 11AM at Broad and PAT&Tison going north on
Broad Street then around City Hall to the Ben Franklin Parkway and the Art Museum. The BSL will
no doubt be a prime route for parade spectators to use. Likely some of the better spots to view
the parade will be on Broad Street south of South Street in South Philadelphia since they may be
less crowded then it will likely be in Center City.

This time there is a little advance notice - as compared to 2008 when the Phillies won in which a
celebratory parade was put together on short notice - held on a Friday at the end of the month of
October - that made rail ticket and pass outlets even busier being a good example.

Was there any previous mention of waiting until Saturday 2/10 to stage this victory parade?

I am actually surprised that this parade will not be tomorrow (Tuesday 2/6) which would at least
give the team a full day to get back from Minnesota - but is perhaps for the better since there is
more lead time to plan all aspects of this long awaited victory celebration. With bad weather in
the forecast on Wednesday going for Thursday at this point looks to be a good move...

I do understand that with the end of the NFL season the team and staff want to return to their
homes and families with the beginning of the off season but a send-off celebration for this win
will be something many people will want to be a part of...

MACTRAXX
 #1460226  by AlexC

I haven't yet local media endlessly announce "take public transit" like last time yet.

What a mess that was.

Truth be told, there's probably no good way to bring one million people into town.
 #1460347  by AlexC

Septa has posted their Eagles Parade schedule & service:

Entire system: http://septa.org/eagles/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regional Rail: http://septa.org/eagles/regional-rail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1460354  by MACTRAXX

AC (and Everyone:)

Take note there will be significant changes to routes that will operate and station closings.

Suburban Station, City Hall on the BSL and 15th Street MFL Station will be closed on Thursday.

Independence Blue Cross will be sponsoring free rides Thursday on both the BSL and MFSE.
Good gesture there - it will be interesting to see how this helps get fans to and from the Parade.

To see which stations will be open on Thursday on rail routes:
http://www.septa.org/eagles/Maps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regional Rail service will only serve limited stations on each line. There will be closed routes such
as the Chestnut Hill West and Cynwyd Lines. Airport Line trains will operate hourly.

A $10 Independence Pass on Parade Day will be offered for RRD riders primarily.

This plan looks to be something similar to the Papal Visit and will at least attempt to address the
problems that the system experienced on the day of the Phillies victory parade back in 2008.

I do agree that there is only so much SEPTA can do with the resources that they have to carry
the huge crowd that will be expected to attend Thursday's Parade. Let's hope for the best...

MACTRAXX
 #1460387  by acabinian

Lindenwold, Woodcrest, Ferry Ave, Broadway, 9th/10th Sts on PATCO for Thursday with all other stations closed.

All Westbound service in the early AM until about 1pm, then all Eastbound service until 7 or 8pm.

https://t.co/9ucMKA20d7
 #1460410  by NorthPennLimited

Not many options to get to work/the parade on Thursday on the Lansdale/Doylestown Line.

By the looks of things on the SEPTA site, they are running 8 scheduled inbound trains Thursday morning from 5am-8am. Trains pickup people at Doylestown, Lansdale, Pennbrook, Ambler, Fort Washington, Jenkintown and terminate at Jefferson for a total capacity of 12,000 riders.

Should be a good day for ticket scalpers to prey on anyone that doesn't have a prepaid train ticket.

8 trains?

What happens if they can't get everyone crammed on the inbound trains by 8am for a ride to the parade? Is there a reason for cutting off inbound service after morning rush hour?
 #1460419  by ExCon90

They issued a notice to employees that that period will be used for getting trains and crews in position for the end of the parade, when there will be no inbound service--no doubt to deadhead back to CC faster for more outbound moves. They also state that they have arranged with the Police Dept. to ensure that SEPTA employees are not barred from restricted areas in order to get to their assignments.
 #1460420  by MichaelBug

NorthPennLimited wrote:Not many options to get to work/the parade on Thursday on the Lansdale/Doylestown Line.

By the looks of things on the SEPTA site, they are running 8 scheduled inbound trains Thursday morning from 5am-8am. Trains pickup people at Doylestown, Lansdale, Pennbrook, Ambler, Fort Washington, Jenkintown and terminate at Jefferson for a total capacity of 12,000 riders.

Should be a good day for ticket scalpers to prey on anyone that doesn't have a prepaid train ticket.

8 trains?

What happens if they can't get everyone crammed on the inbound trains by 8am for a ride to the parade? Is there a reason for cutting off inbound service after morning rush hour?
The information on the SEPTA side seems very confusing???

Stations OPEN for AM SERVICE to JEFFERSON STATION:
•DOYLESTOWN: first train 5:19 a.m. - no service after approximately 7:00 a.m.
◦TOTAL # OF AM TRAINS SERVING THIS STATION: 4
◦TOTAL RIDER CAPACITY FOR THIS STATION: 3,720

•LANSDALE: first train 5:15 a.m. - no service after approximately 8:22 a.m.
◦TOTAL # OF AM TRAINS SERVING THIS STATION: 4
◦TOTAL RIDER CAPACITY FOR THIS STATION: 3,720

•PENNBROOK: first train 5:17 a.m. - no service after approximately 8:26 a.m.
◦TOTAL # OF AM TRAINS SERVING THIS STATION: 1
◦TOTAL RIDER CAPACITY FOR THIS STATION: 930

•AMBLER: first train 5:29 a.m. - no service after approximately 8:37 a.m.
◦TOTAL # OF AM TRAINS SERVING THIS STATION: 1
◦TOTAL RIDER CAPACITY FOR THIS STATION: 930

•FT.WASHINGTON: 5:32 a.m. - no service after approximately 8:40a.m.
◦TOTAL # OF AM TRAINS SERVING THIS STATION: 2
◦TOTAL RIDER CAPACITY FOR THIS STATION: 1,860

•JENKINTOWN: first train 5:25 a.m. - no service after approximately 9:30 a.m.
◦SEE WARMINSTER LINE FOR DETAILS ON TRAINS & RIDER CAPACITY

NO AM service from Center City towards Lansdale/Doylestown Stations

PM Service Departs from JEFFERSON STATION ONLY:
•JEFFERSON: first train 2:00 p.m. - no service after 9:30 p.m

The way I am reading this, they will only have 4 trains stop at Lansdale & only ONE at Pennbrook? At what times? Or, do they mean 4 trains ORIGINATING at Doylestown, 4 originating at Lansdale, etc?

For this normal North Wales rider & Collegeville resident, taking the NHSL from DeKalb St. (I still call it "King Manor") that day to 69th St. TERMINAL & then on to the El, may be the best option.
 #1460422  by ExCon90

The message to employees (but not the notice to the public) states that they will be monitoring the crowds at the named stations and running extras when possible, and yes, they plan to fill a train at each of those stations and run nonstop to designated CC stations. Same thing on the return.
 #1460432  by GooStats

Amtrak keystones are sold out.
Amtrak from Wilmington and Trenton are available, but super expensive.
I was going to gamble two weeks ago and buy $23 tickets for Tuesday from Trenton. Glad I didn't

I live near Woodbourne, but there is no way in hell I'm taking Regional Rail.
-My thoughts for me
1. #14 bus to Frankford to the El.
2. Riverline from Trenton. Walk from Camden.
3. Park at an undisclosed location in West Philly that I have in mind and walk. (sorry, I will not share exactly where it is).
 #1460457  by Launcher

NorthPennLimited wrote:
Option 2 is drive to Trenton (...) and take Amtrak
Trenton is showing as $ 62 (one way in) already, and while supplies last.
GooStats wrote:Amtrak keystones are sold out.
Amtrak from Wilmington and Trenton are available, but super expensive.
I was going to gamble two weeks ago and buy $23 tickets for Tuesday from Trenton. Glad I didn't
On the website and at the Amtrak ticket agent window you can apply a sale to a future purchase (stored credit, up to one year) and keep the credit as long as you do it before the final boarding call.
 #1460467  by MichaelBug

NorthPennLimited wrote:Looks like another viable option is drive to the Airport, Park, and hop a train into center city. That looks like the only line maintaining inbound and outbound service.

Option 2 is drive to Trenton or Exton and take Amtrak
I also thought about taking the Airport Line, but SEPTA is only running hourly service on that line on Parade Day, & only to 30th St. (Not the most practical for me since my office is literally on top of the 13th St El stop.) Also, it would involve a bus ride from the parking area ($11 to park) to the train stop as well.