Railroad Forums 

• Peter C. McLachlan, RIP

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1587504  by Fishrrman

From the Danbury News-Times:
==========================
Peter Connors McLachlan 1933-2021

Peter Connors McLachlan, formerly of Newtown, died on Sunday November 7, 2021 in Danbury where he lived for the past two years. Peter graduated from St. Peter's School in Danbury and from Newtown High School. He attended Fairfield University until he was old enough to work for the railroad. Peter worked as an engineer until retirement. Peter was a very dedicated rail fan with extensive collections of all things railroad. Most of his collection has been donated to rail museums. Peter was born on June 6, 1938 the fourth of six children born to the late George A. McLachlan, Sr. and Louise (Connors) McLachlan. Brothers, George Jr., J. Richard and sister Helen predeceased Peter. Peter leaves brother, Malcolm (Nancy) of Southbury and sister, Louise, always called Bonnie of Oxford; and two sisters-in-law, Susann of Florida and Maureen of Newtown. Peter also leaves many friends who share his love of trains.

Services are private per Peter and his family's wishes.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/ne ... d=31660073

---------------------

I remember Pete from before I even got hired. I got to take only one trip up the Housatonic line before passenger service ended there, in 1969. Pete was running one of the New Haven RDC's, and let me take a picture out the front window.

Later on when I was a brand-new fireman, he was one of the first engineers I worked under.

If you thought about Danbury, the Housatonic Line, or the Maybrook, Pete was one of those who most often came to mind. He'd always be dressed with a tie, his striped coat, and engineer hat. Rest in peace.

(J.Albert)
 #1587582  by NaugyRR

I met Pete at the DRM Library last Spring and spent a good hour or two talking to him about his career, including stories of the last train to Lakeville. I got a kick out of him telling my girlfriend I about how he had no problem traveling to different museums and historical societies to share his stories, since they usually had very good (and free) food, haha. It's a shame so much knowledge and experience is lost, but I'm glad I got to chat with him for even the short time I did. May he rest in peace, and his family know that he informed and inspired countless people with his own life experiences.