Railroad Forums 

• Penn-Camden Connector Track

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#206112  by rafi

Has anyone heard anything new about MARC's proposed Penn-Camden connector track? Is it still happening?

On a related note, is it possible to see the spur when traveling from Baltimore Penn to DC on the NEC?

Thanks,
Rafi

#206141  by rafi

Well, I emailed the MTA as well, and got this reply:

---
The connector track project along with the maintenance facility that is
was to serve has been abandoned.

[email protected] 01/18/06 08:51AM >>>
Category: Question
Mode of Service: MARC Train

Nature Of Question: Other,
Comments: Hi,
I was wondering what the current status is of the Penn-Camden connector
track. Is it still planned, and is there a timeframe?
---

I wonder what the reason was for abandoning the project.

#216913  by benltrain

in MSTS there is some absurd way to connect between the two, but it took me about 5 hours to find it and i'm not even sure it wasn't a glitch...

#247485  by Kahlua

benltrain wrote:in MSTS there is some absurd way to connect between the two, but it took me about 5 hours to find it and i'm not even sure it wasn't a glitch...
I think you have to switch over to the NB local track at W. Baltimore and then take the switch into the industrial area...I think it might be a glitch but im not sure either....

#259156  by sschelle

rafi wrote:Well, I emailed the MTA as well, and got this reply:

---

---

Lack of funds/funding

#263505  by rafi

sschelle wrote:
rafi wrote:Well, I emailed the MTA as well, and got this reply:

---

---

Lack of funds/funding
sschelle,

Thanks for the update. Can you lend any more context or perspective to how you came by this information? I'm on the MARC Passenger Advisory board and intend to bring this up at our meeting next week, so the more background info I have the better. :-D

Thanks!
Rafi

#274269  by The Metropolitan

I believe the connector track was to follow the old CLAREMONT subdivision. This abandoned line diverges from the NEC just a bit South of Frederick Avenue, and heads EAST for about 1/2 mile, then curving Southeast crossing Wilkens Avenue on a high old trestle. Originally, the line connected with the SB B&O line via a curving connector that hugged a cliff while riding parrallel to the old WM Tide sub, but this grade has largely been lost since. However, CSX still serves one or two customers in the business park, so a newer connection is available that leads into Claremont Yard, near where I-95 goes over DeSoto Road.

The maintenance yards were to have been near Washington and Monroe, and MTA apparently bought the property in preparation for it. Today, it is little changed, though some of the open space has been used for storage of retired buses.

Another, much less direct possibilty would be to restore the connection to the old WM Tide sub north of the West Baltimore Station to the West, and follow this route under the B&O and into Westport where the Tidewater sub merges with the Curtis Bay sub, where a direction change would then be needed to back into Camden usng the Curtis Bay Sub and finally the mainline.

More info on the Claremont...

http://www.monumentalcity.net/railroads/claremont/

#279543  by gprimr1

If the Penn and Camden don't connect, how do they both come into Union Station. Does the B&O have it's own approach to Union Station?

Also, don't they store Camden line cars at Penn Station during the day?

#279776  by octr202

gprimr1 wrote:If the Penn and Camden don't connect, how do they both come into Union Station. Does the B&O have it's own approach to Union Station?

Also, don't they store Camden line cars at Penn Station during the day?
B&O and PRR (today CSXT and Amtrak NEC) both have access to Union Station -- have since the day it was built.

This thread was referring to a connection in Baltimore -- where they come together in DC is right outside of Ujnion Station.

A lot of the Brunswick and Camden Lines equipment does lay over in Union Station. In the past MARC has often used it to run mid day trains on the Penn Line -- don't know if this is still occuring.

#279781  by gprimr1

I see the purpose of this now, to save the trains a trip to DC to switch tracks.

#280415  by The Metropolitan

I believe the reasons cited were the following...

Ability to offer game day service to Camden Yards on the Penn Line.

Ability to run Penn Line trains into Camden, thus allowing closer access to the Baltimore CBD than exists at Penn.

Another component of this plan was to be a central MARC yard near Washington and Monroe Sts. in Southwest Baltimore. This would have allowed both lines to store their equipment in a common place in Baltimore, instead of having the Penn trains laid up in the spread tracks at Baltimore and the Camden trains at Riverside Yard in Locust Point.
 #1558593  by scratchyX1

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:39 pm I think that may be from a year ago or more, but it was much in the planning stages.

Ether way, they got to lay down new track and grab land. The old track has been taken up.
How much land grab would be needed? it looks like a bunch of trees under I95, are what would need to come down for a Y to send trains northbound.
And taking some of Railplans parking lot.
It's assumed that new track would be laid down, since the connection to the NEC was pulled up years ago.
I'm guessing the price point would go up alot, if the bridges need replacement.

http://www.trainweb.org/oldmainline/cmb1.htm
 #1558634  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX1 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:43 pm How much land grab would be needed? it looks like a bunch of trees under I95, are what would need to come down for a Y to send trains northbound.
And taking some of Railplans parking lot.
It's assumed that new track would be laid down, since the connection to the NEC was pulled up years ago.
I'm guessing the price point would go up alot, if the bridges need replacement.

http://www.trainweb.org/oldmainline/cmb1.htm
Looking at it via Google Maps... I'd say you need to re-aquire the land the track was on in the first place, clear it again, reconnect some at-grade crossings, and put in two Y's (one at the NEC, one at the Mt. Claire Yard). The link under I-95 is still there but probably needs repair... and it's going the wrong direction. Unless put a reverse connection at Mt Winans and expand an interlock... it's best to put a link at Mt. Clare Yard going up to Camden Yards.

On the bright side, if it goes in properly, MARC 5100 can cabcar on the NEC again. :grinning: