• Peckham Trolley builder

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

by 3rdrail

I found a copy of a Market Street Railway Company (SF) Equipment Roster for their Work Equipment. 24 cars rode on Peckhams. I guess they sure got around ! Models used for these cars were mostly "Peckham Single-Trucks", however "Peckham Model 14-B-3-X" was used as well. M. S. Ry. Co. made up a lot of their own equipment in their Elkton Shops, so
this is another example of Peckham being used as a truck supplier only. M. St. Ry. Co. also converted some passengers cars into work equipment, such as the # 0508 McAllister Barn Wrecker, which rode on a large Peckham Single-Truck.

by 3rdrail

Is that the right photo ? I'm reading that the car was a Kuhlman product.
  by 3rdrail

by Jollygreenslugg

I don't know anything about Peckam cars, but the following covers some of his truck design work;

Edgar Peckham was an American who started design work in 1888, and production in 1890. He introduced 'unit production' where a group of standardised castings and sections were used in different ways to suit different requirements. A arge range of trucks ensued from this and his trucks were popular in Britain also. Here in Australia, the Peckham Metropolitan truck was popular under a few early cars.

A patent infringement case by the New Jersey Street Ry Co in 1903 caused setbacks and Edgar Peckham went to England in 1904 for a year, to study operating conditions. Back in the US, he sold his business interests and returned to England in 1906, forming the Peckham Truck and Engineering Co. He contracted the manufacture of truck parts and continued this work until the mid Twenties.

This info comes from "The Evolution of the British Electric Tramcar Truck" by A.M. Goodwyn.

Cheers,
Matt