• PCC II's to hit Route 15 September 1

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by the sarge

Word from the grapevine, the nuthouse known as 1234 Market St, is that there will be an opening ceremony / festivities at the Zoo on September 1, 2005 for the restoration of trolleys on the Route 15. Regular service is to start Sunday, September 4, 2005.

I have to say that this looks to hold true as work on the line has been in full force for the past few months. The wires under the bridge on Richmond St between Lehigh and Somerset Sts have been fixed along with added strobe lights and warning signs. Everyday I travel down Girard and /or Richmond St, there is a SEPTA crew working on the line or wires.

I hope SEPTA stays true to the start date and more importantly, keep the line running. As a resident of the area serviced by the Route 15, I like many other SEPTA riders, look forward to a more comfortable ride and ON TIME SERVICE. For the past year, I have avoided riding the RT 15 bus because the service was horrible, especially trying to catch a bus to Port Richmond from the MFL Girard St station. With the proposed improvements with the traffic signals and a dedicated (most of the time) street lane, I hope the service can operate to its schedule (Ok you can stop laughing).

But seriously, the Route 15 with the new PCC II’s has to make a difference to the riding public. If the regular riders of the route notice a significant improvement in comfort and service, then the fight to restore the other trolley lines may be a bit easier. But, I honestly believe SEPTA does not want this line to succeed as a rail operation for that reason…..

by greg19051

I really hope that service starts on September first, and continues on indefinitely. In addition to the obvious benefits, it would be good PR to start up the line again. Girard Street east of Broad St. seems to be improving, and trolley service should help even more.

by jfrey40535

I'll just be happy if the thing shows up and gets me home....nothing like freezing at Front & Girard for what seems like an eternity. It'll be nice riding something that doesn't go crash-boom-bam down the street too.

by the sarge

"I'll just be happy if the thing shows up and gets me home....nothing like freezing at Front & Girard for what seems like an eternity."

I hear ya! I spent many hours on that corner - the main reason why I currently drive to Front and Girard to catch the El.

During the night, especially in the winter, I would just go in the bar at the corner, order a beer, pay up front, and stand by the door drinking and watching. One night, it took seven beers before the 15 showed up.

by jfrey40535

During the night, especially in the winter, I would just go in the bar at the corner, order a beer, pay up front, and stand by the door drinking and watching. One night, it took seven beers before the 15 showed up.
Yeah thank goodness for Father Denny's...especially on those cold nights. Thanks to SEPTA us 15 riders are alchys now...Maybe we could get them to change the name of the bar to "The SEPTA loser's club" with the trolley being run over by a bus as the logo or something.

by kevikens

Has anyone seen any of the PCC's out on training runs recently ? If so what time ?

by SEPTALRV9072

Training's over already.

by jfrey40535

There is a car out every morning M-F for testing only, and to keep the tracks in shape and to get motorists used to seeing the trolleys. They still seem to be tweeking things as 2 sections of rail were just replaced today on Richmond Street.
  by Septaman113

I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade, but knowing how those slick SOB's operate at 1234, I'll believe it when I actually see the PCC II's operating in revenue service. I hope I'm wrong, but they'll manage to find some other lame excuse to not run them come next week.

by jfrey40535

True, the word did not come down to scrap the startup until 48 hours beforehand last time. Although this time they know the public is watching.

Anyone know why Rt 10 isnt being moved over until January?

by R3 Rider

Today's "SEPTA News Page" in the Metro was devoted to the restoration of trolley service on Route 15. According to the article, service will restart on Sunday the 4th, not next Thursday.

by kevikens

Yesterday, Weds. I went into the city to see if I could catch some cars running along the line and I did find two PCC II's running the length of the line from West Philly along Girard Ave. to the Cumberland loop on Richmond street. They were working on a rail further north so the streetcars were not running all the way to Allegeheny. Whoever is reponsible for the return of the PCC's deserves a special place in that great roundhouse in the sky. They are so beautiful and when I took pictures of the original PCC's back in the early 90's just before Septa withdrew them from service I never thought I would see them again and in the colors I remember them in as a kid. I think this service will be so successful that residents along the routes of the 23 and 56 are going to start wondering-out loud, I hope- why they don't have such service. This re-start of PCC service should serve us as a reminder that it is possible to recreate lost service and routes where the will and the resources come together so keep the sucess of the route 15 in mind as we plug away at the Newtown or Bethlehem or West Chester service.

by jfrey40535

The return of quaint looking streetcars is a trend that is happening all over the country and even with our backward thinking SEPTA we actually managed to get a "heritage" streetcar line back in service. Hopefully this is a start and not a end. Hopefully ridership on the 15 will do a bit better than it did as a bus line, and if enough people vocalize how much they like the route, maybe we can persuade the city to support more of this. Keep your fingers crossed!

by the sarge

Today's "SEPTA News Page" in the Metro was devoted to the restoration of trolley service on Route 15. According to the article, service will restart on Sunday the 4th, not next Thursday.

Read my first post, I did say regular service will start on the 4th, but September 1st is the day SEPTA scheduled the "Official" startup ceremony at the Philadelphia Zoo; that is why I included the 1st in the subject title.

by SEPTALRV9072

I rode the 15 bus today and heard passengers murmuring about the return of the trolleys and how they were glad the unreliable bus would be gone. Always nice to hear.