Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by gaspeamtrak

Hi Everyone!
My wife and I are driving down to either Aurora or the Route 59 area from Ontario.Canada
We are going to stay at a local motel/hotel in the area.
We are planing on riding Metra into Union station for National Train Day.
I have been using Metra for over 30 years when in town, but have always arrived by Amtrak but never used our car to get to Chicago.
I have found info about the train fares on there website but can't find any info about the parking fees?
Thanks for any info!
  by qboy

Parking is usually handle by the village or town that the station is in. The parking fees can vary from $1 to $2 for the day depending on town. If its the weekend and its similar to Elburn and most station along my line parking is free on weekends!
  by CHTT1

Every parking lot is operated by a different authority _ cities, villages, transit districts, private enterprise. Most tend to be in the $1 to $2 range for all-day parking. Some offer free weekend parking, others don't. Read the signs at the parking lot you're going to use VERY carefully. Methods of fee collection also vary greatly.
  by Tadman

Where in Ontario? Given that quite a lot of Ontario population is the GTA/Corridor area, I'm guessing you're coming from the east. In that case, park in Michigan City and take the South Shore in. It's free parking and you don't have to drive across the metro area, just to ride back in.