• Pan Am cancels flights out of Pease(Newington)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by wolfmom69

Ch.6 TV in Portland had a story about Pan Am calling customers who had reservations to fly out of Newington,and saying that flights were cancelled. Reason given: Price of fuel too high!

No other details.
Bud :(

by MEC407

Meanwhile, Guilford continues to allow their locomotives to idle excessively and passes the cost on to the shippers in the form of fuel surcharges.

by b&m 1566

That's a good point. Engines in Lowell sit idling for 3 or more hours in between moves. Even if the prices where low, I still don't see a need for the engines to be running for long periods of time while not moving.

by MEC407

It's a different story during the winter months, since locomotives doesn't use antifreeze, and therefore must remain running -- but when the temperature is 85 and the diesel prices are sky high, it would behoove them to shut down units that aren't going to be used for a while. Almost all of the Class I railroads have installed auto-start/auto-shutdown systems on their locomotives. Perhaps in the past, the fuel savings wasn't worth it for the smaller railroads to make that kind of investment... but with diesel getting close to $3 a gallon, maybe that will change. (Not that I'll hold my breath for Guilford to do it.)

by artman

I know someone who works a PanAm at Pease and he told me last week this was coming. What he was told by his boss was that PanAm was getting out of the scheduled airline business and fully going into the charter business