Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by mnsteve25

what the reason that 216 was rebuilt so early? involved in a crash, mechanical problems, etc?
  by DutchRailnut

I believe it was send for rebuilt after a side swipe in Harmon were car body was damaged.
  by Kaback9

So 206 was not sent back an 216 went in its place it seems.
  by DutchRailnut

I got corrected by someone in Harmon.

216 went due to prime mover went bad, piston failure I seem to recall.
211 was the sideswipe unit that was send after rollaway.

and the next one going to Erie, which got cutoff last Thursday is the 207.
  by FL9AC

Probably a major failure of some sort, since like you stated, it was from the most recent series. The 214 is also a new rebuild back on the property seen last week, and the 215 is the next unit to be shipped out for rebuild if it hasn't gone out already.
  by M1 9147

The last one of the 2001 order for Metro North that was repainted, and rebuilt! Interesting!
  by FL9AC

The 213 just left last night for Erie, so that should come back shortly and the 215 should be almost done shortly (currently at Erie).
  by M1 9147

Wonder if the horn got replaced also? Sounded like when I was doing videotaping at Manitou during the Open House last October, it had a different sounding horn like a P5, or the choke in the horn was clogged causing the horn to sound very sick. I can't imagine how many shots I have of 213 whether at Croton Harmon, or on the move.
  by FL9AC

Nope, the horn was just sickly...there's a few units running around that could use a serious horn rebuild lol.
  by FL9AC

The 207 has gone and come back from rebuild...it was back as of last week.
  by FL9AC

The 215 came back from rebuild about a week or two ago :wink: .
  by FL9AC

The 206 should be next....
One would think, but the 212 just left for rebuilding, and the 213 just came back from being rebuild.