• Overland Models new plastic division

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by stilson4283

Overland Models has announced that it’s launching Tower 55, the brass model manufacturer’s new plastic division The ready-to-run models will feature Digitrax dual-mode decoders with sound, prototype details, and pad-printed lettering.
What dose anyone knows about Overland and how they perform? I do not own any brass but I am curious on how they run since I am guessing a similar drive will be in plastic model.

Also from people whom seen them, how do they look and how is the detail, since they say it will be comparable.

It will be interesting to see what it will look, sound and cost compared to those already out there.

For more information visit http://www.overlandmodels.com/tower55.htm. The official Web site for Tower 55, http://www.tower55products.com, will launch in June 2005.

Chris

by Otto Vondrak

Do we really need another plastic manufacturer? Or is it coming down that plastic releases are starting to hurt the brass import market? Maybe they will be nice sharp plastic Atlas-style bodies on whisper-smooth Kato drives... interested to see OMI's/Tower55's offering and what price range they will be in.

-otto-

by jmp883

I have an N-gauge Overland SD45-2 in EL colors. The level of detail on this particular model is awesome and it runs great.

I agree with Otto. Do we really need another plastic model supplier? In N we have Kato, Atlas, and Life-Like already turning out top-notch engines. Since I'm not DCC-versed I don't know what a dual-mode decoder is. If it allows the locomotive to be run on a conventional or DCC layout that's fine. If a dual-mode decoder only allows the loco to be run on a DCC layout then it would seem that OMI might be limiting themselves in the market. Of course that is what they are already doing by being a brass importer, and maybe that is their intent all along.

It just seems we have enough quality plastic already.

by ANDY117

Yes, but how is it priced? Is it in the Range of the Major Manufacturers, or is it priced like a Brass model.

by ANDY117

Thinking about this, this may very well shake up the Plastic business ESPECIALLY if they're in the Plastic price rabge. Brass quality, in plastic. More oddball locomotives, like FL9's, and SD70ACe's.

by jmp883

Andy117 does bring up several good points.

Hopefully, they will be price-competitive with the established companies and even more hopefully, that maybe they'll do more off-the-wall engines. I'd love to see an FL9 or a Baldwin Babyface (or even a Baldwin CNJ double-ender), or maybe the Trackmobile they just did in HO brass or a Jordan Spreader. These would all be great models in plastic (especially for those of us in N).

OMI is also known for its brass railroad structures, maybe they might do some in plastic as well?

Anything is possible....after all look how the vehicle line from Athearn has taken off in both HO and N.

by ANDY117

Think about it- when the other Plastic manufacturers see how the public reacts to more oddball locomotives, they'll realize that not EVERYONE needs an ATSF F7, or GP38. And we'll see a trend towards the MN level.

by Otto Vondrak

Dual-mode means the engine can run on a conventional DC layout or a DCC layout.

Do you think OMI is starting a plastic division so they can release "oddball" short runs? Don't you think these short runs will cost the same as custom-built locomotives? I am highly skeptical until I see some products on the shelves. If OMI's price for plastic loco offerings is $200-plus, then forget it. If they are $99-150, then they may have something going.

-otto-

by stilson4283

But remember that it will be sound too. I think they could be competative if they stick in the price range of 250 (MSG) for sound since that is what they are charging for p2K sound.

Chris
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Stilson, overland, or omi locos, and cars are some of the best around. I have never expierienced a problem with any of the models they make. I used to have a large layout, with a big roster of steam, and early diesel. Lots of omi, and never a problem. Maybe it is time for another plastic manufacturer, as some of the stuff today seems to way too high, in price. It almost seems like some manufacturers are "artificially" inflating the prices, while making smaller runs, or releasing thier inventory a little at a time. I don't know what a worker makes in china, but the tooling is paid for, plastic is ultra-cheap, motors, drives etc., Also very inexpensive to manufacture, and assemble in a third world sweatshop. Cardboard packaging also very in-expensive, so why do the builders get $100.00+++, for a plastic loco ? Those high-dollar plastic locos also tend to be noisy, at times, problematic in the electrical pick-up department, and have paint jobs that at times are almost amateuristic, in their appearance. (am i the only one that feels this way ? ) some of the "rubber stamp" applied lettering, and logos on modern stuff sometimes looks comical, in it's cheapness. Laser lettering, or factory applied decals helps, but it is a matter of skill. (how much skill does a person have, or care to have, when they make .25 cents an hour ? ) just a thought......regards :wink:

by SSW9389

Yes, Overland is most likely answering the fact that it is losing sales to the new wave of great plastic shell locomotives. Make no mistake about this, war has been declared. Overland in my opinion has the best drive in the business. There will be casulties from this counterattack. Look at what Tower 55 will be offering as its first run of models, something that has not been done in plastic. Great tactic and I would expect that to continue, we don't need any more F7s. I expect Overland, AKA Tower 55 to come out on top in their new venture :wink: .

by SSW9389

I told a buddy at my train club yesterday about Tower 55's entry into the plastic HO locomotive field. I explained about the two new diesels they were going to do, but he was not interested in anything that modern. Then I told him about the three unit UP Big Blow Turbine and his eyes lit up! :P

by ANDY117

I might have to get my hands on some Dash 9's, and some ES40DC's. Hopefully they'll make some FL9's... i can see that somebody was reading the HO scale wish list!

by jmp883

Otto,

Thanks for the dual-mode clarification. I guess being 40 years old has shorted out some brain circuits----I could have gone to the DCC forum and answered my own question and NOT have looked like an indiot to the rest of railfans/modelers here.

Oh well, it just goes to show that being Italian isn't all it's cracked up to be!
Don't let being Italian happen to you.........

Thanks again, Otto!

by ANDY117

Hey, it's understandable. IM not into DCC yet, either, so i guess im gonna have to get familiar with all this fancy technology!