Railroad Forums 

• Out flying yesterday-Olean line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#644359  by SST

Yesterday was such a nice day, my friend and I departed from Lancaster and headed south. Lancaster airport sits along the CSX mainline and while preflighting, the line was active. In the 10 minutes or so on the ground, several trains went by in both directions. A great place to have an airplane stored.

So off we go to our destination of Bradford, PA. We followed the BR&P on the first leg. Nothing to report most of the way there. Once over Bradford, there were several tank cars around the area at the “traditional” spots. But saw no movements. We landed, had lunch and I convinced the pilot flying to head to Keating Summit. 20 miles to the ESE of BFD. We departed BFD and flew the route to just north of the summit. It looked like we flew over some abandoned ROW but I don’t know who they were. I’ll have to dig out a map some time and check it out. Upon arriving at the line we turned south.

On my aeronautical chart, Keating Summit is shown as a little tiny town. As we flew over it, it isn’t really even a town. More like a couple of houses clustered along the road. Visibility was excellent as I could easily see Port Alleghany. Anyway, we flew south along the line but it was difficult from the air to really get a feel for the grade. But I did see the summit before turning northbound. Fuel was limiting.

I’m glad we flew to Keating Summit because it changed our routing back to Lancaster. Basically we followed the line all the way back through Arcade which allowed me to make some interesting observations. First thing I noticed was no activity. I did see a few covered hoppers at Port Alleghany. It looks like the PADOT has just finished a major road repair/replacement of bridges.

Eventually we crossed back into NY and passed to the east of Olean. No movements noted. As we flew north along the line I began to see snow covering the rails. Even if there is no activity the snow usually melts over the rails. I took a long hard look and there are sections south of Franklinville that are still covered by snow. Anywhere along the line where the line bends to an easterly heading, and with a hill on the south side of the line [sun block] the snow is covering the rails. I’m thinking this line is inactive.

As we approached Franklinville, I could see railcars on the line north of the town. As we got closer I could see that these were covered hoppers……then I noticed that there were no locomotives hooked up to them. Their are two sets of cars sitting on the line. One is about 50 or so cars….the other is maybe 30. I guess they are there for storage. That explains the snow cover to the south.

Then we came upon Machias. No movements but signs of activity. There were several hoppers parked in the area and no snow covered rails. We passed Arcade but it was out of my view so I didn’t see much and then headed back directly to Lancaster.

Looks like part of the Olean Line is on the inactive list for a while.
 #644386  by Conrail4evr

The B&P uses the Buffalo Line from Buffalo to Machias Junction, where they cut over to Ashford Junction on their own line for the run South to Salamanca, Bradford, and beyond. Their line North of Ashford Junction is out-of-service as well, and hasn't seen a train in years. The Buffalo Line between Machias Junction and Olean does not get used, as you stated, except for storage. The WNY&P is currently operating the line South of Olean down as far as Driftwood, PA (IIRC), where they have an interchange with the B&P. The entire Buffalo Line is owned by Norfolk Southern, but they now operate trains via the Southern Tier Line to Binghamton and South on the CP (former D&H) to either Allentown or Sunbury on the Buffalo Line in order to access various Pennsylvania destinations, and thus leased out portions of their Buffalo Line to various shortlines. WNY&P occasionally runs a Driftwood turn that runs from Olean to Driftwood and return. The B&P runs two daily freights over the stretch you flew over. Hope this helps clarify some of the things you saw!
 #644733  by thebigham

The WNY&P does interchange with the B&P at Machias Junction when traffic warrants. I saw 10 cars at the interchange last summer.