Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by myamyc72

Oh so sorry about that, from what I had observed it was from Westport thru South Norwalk. As of Friday the Track 3 was rusted over pretty well, however I see trains now running on the local track leaving Westport toward East and South Norwalk Stations.

I'm just visiting here for the weekend, I now live in Central Vermont, however grew up in the New haven area.

Regards;

Amy
  by DutchRailnut

The rust is not much of problem for the trains, usually they run one or two test trains over it at night that will pretty much clear the rust.
The rust will cause the cab signal to drop a lot to most restrictive cause there is not sufficient contact at first axle but again that clears after two trains or so.
  by SubaruWRX

I always thought the cab signal was picked up with the bar just under the engineers feet. Unless the combination of the two are for the cab signal.
  by DutchRailnut

The cab signal works as a loop the signal comes towards train trough one rail gets shorted by first axle and returns trough other rail.
The pick up coils in front of the first set of wheels picks up the signal for the trains Cabsignal box.
with lots of rust on rail or in fall leaf residue the contact is minimal and the rails do not shunt right.
  by SubaruWRX

Thanks for clearing that up.
  by Darien Red Sox

Dose anyone know where it has been done and where it will be done next? I know that the wires in Stamford have been replaced, and that the wire over track 3 in Darien has been replaced.
  by SubaruWRX

Wires in stamford have been replaced? I don't think the wires by the yard have been replaced yet?
  by DutchRailnut

The Mainline tracks in Stamford are done alll way to New Canaan split.
The lower yard has new wire , only tracks not done are Hill tracks, the passenger yard(where wire train and Mof W are now) and North side tracks.
From CP235(new canaan split) to sono the wires are still to be done on tracks 1-2-4.

beyond Norwalk somone else needs to fill info.
  by RDL 879

Foundation work for new catenary bridges is now underway between East Norwalk and Bridgeport on Tk 4, which is why that track is out of service.
  by Darien Red Sox

I saw some centenary trucks on the tracks by the Darien Station yesterday. Dose anyone know what they were doing?
  by DutchRailnut

Catenary work ???
track 1 is now out of service and will be for long time, today track and rail were removed from the bridge in Darien.
  by Clean Cab

Track #1 between CP 235 and CP 241 was removed from service on Thursday (8/21) for catenary replacement. It will be out for 9 months at least. This is the second stage (of 4) that is part of "Catenary B Project" (CP 235 to CP 241).
Last edited by Clean Cab on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Patrick A.

capecodlocoguy wrote:Track #1 between CP 235 and CP 241 was removed from service on Thursday (8/21) for catenary replacement. It will be out for 9 months at least.
Based on the track record of this project, I would place it more like 12 months at least. :wink:

Patrick
  by Clean Cab

"Supposedly" (notice quotation marks) the contractor who is handling the steel decking for the underpasses in question must have the steel either on the way, or on the property before they can take another track out. Time will tell!!!
  by Darien Red Sox

On Monday I noticed the wire is removed going through Noroton Heights but the brackets are still in place. Also the wire has not been removed all the way to CP 235 yet. Dose anyone know when the new wire will be going in? Also what track will be next 2 or 4?