• Orient Heights station rehab

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by rhodiecub2

Is it true that the MBTA is not going to rebuild Orient Heights station and the station can accomodate 6 trains? I heard this a while ago.

by Robert Paniagua

Actually, they are supposed to rebuild that station as well, hopefully. There may have been talk about not redoing it, but it's in very decrepid condition (almost like a traditional New York City Subway station), it sure could use a rehab.

It should be renovated too with the rest of the Blue Line.

by rhodiecub2

All that they have to do is basically rebuild the decrepit of it, right? Would there be any need to extend it?

by RailBus63

There is nothing listed on the 'Projects' section of the MBTA website about any work planned for Orient Heights. The station platforms are longer than four cars, but I'm not sure if they can accomodate six cars.

JD

by Robert Paniagua

I've seen the platforms longer than four cars at Orient Heights. But I haven't measured the actual feet of the platform, but in order to have a 6 car Blue Line train use it, the platforms must be at least 300 feet long, since the Blue Line Cars are 48' 6" long.

by DLahey

Speaking of the length of blue line cars, when are the new Seimens cars supposed to arrive? I had heard a while back that they were due in November, but when will we see them?
  by octr202

NE Transit roster page sayeth April 2006, for what its worth.

by CJ

Yeah, its probably right, last I heard from the MBTA was October, (it came and past), so april sounds more logical, and some major work at maverick and state should (hopefully) have happened.

And as for OH, ya, it needs work, it does, 50+years old almost, and falling apart, however it would be fairly hard to demo it, and redo it all, unless it was extended towards the bridge, built, then the empty section (where the cars stop going inbound) was redone, that was opened for 4 cars, and the rest of the station was redone, but Im not holding my breath.

Im guessin they will repaint it, and put some new yellow markers down, and call it a day (though I hope not!)

by The Collector at Court St

The Heights will be the last station to be rehabbed on the Blue. Part of the problem is to see if the platforms need to be moved for the 6 car adjustment and the yard trackage.

New trains in the spring.... if we're lucky. Lots of deuces under construction. 1st deuce to the orange test track followed shortly with another to the blue for overnight testing. Word is they maybe painted over the stainless bodies due to a manufacturing problem. Just get 'em here!!!

by CJ

Problem with the bodies, that would blow!

Hopefully its only with the test pair.

However I heard the cars were not going to the test track, because the lifts @ wellington couldnt handle the new cars, and bringing in portable ones and moving them etc was too much hassle!

Probs with the way they did the stainless finish..... really won't be a big deal, just appears to have blemishes. Paint will cover and it won't affect rusting like the current fleet. After all, we don't want it to look too much like the Red Line cars!!

With the 2 pairs coming back to back, the blue pair will get the lift inspections.

by CJ

Ahh, see I didnt know that 2 pairs were coming back to back

So pair 1 will go test track to overnites on the blue, and pair 2 will go on the lifts?

What else arent you telling us :P

Sorry I wasn't clear. 1 pair to the Orange test track. Shortly after, 1 pair to the Blue. The idea is to test run them for awhile and at least on the blue, be able to look for wear and tear up on a lift.

I'm sure, given the state of the railcar industry, that they'll be a few surprises. Some will be visible, some noticed when operating and some that only the shops will see. This is normal with a new class of cars.

by mattster

The Collector at Court St wrote:Probs with the way they did the stainless finish..... really won't be a big deal, just appears to have blemishes. Paint will cover and it won't affect rusting like the current fleet. After all, we don't want it to look too much like the Red Line cars!!
Awful news. I, for one, would like them to resemble the Red Line cars. Some added uniformity to the T's equipment would be nice.

by CJ

True, but even the stainless steel bodies would be subject to nature, not to mention dirt etc, least a coat of paint might keep the elements out between yearly washings!

Now, to wait till april!

What I hate too, im maybe 500 feet from the OH yards too, can see em w/o issue looking out my window, look everynight for new cars, but nothing yet!