Railroad Forums 

• Operations In & Around Winchester

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#1010086  by RDG126

Good hello to all. I was hoping to get some definitive answers regarding W&W/CSX operations in and around Winchester, Va. I'm hoping to set up a layout loosely based on this area, and have a hard time pinning down who runs what, and when they do it. I've seen CSX schedules listing a daily Brunswick-Strasburg Jct. turn...but saw multiple CSX power consists when I was living in the area, in addition to photographs on a number of websites showing CSX locals exchanging cars in the CSX Winchester yard. This also does not account for what would seem to be a unit train running out of the Wimpey facility near Middletown, Va.

With regards the W&W, is The Sandman a daily, or as needed? And, is the WInchester-Hagerstown turn a daily, as needed, and is it a through train? I ask the latter as I've seen W&W power parked at Inwood, WV on occasion. Any input clearing all of this up would be much appreciated. Thank you!
 #1011590  by PVRX1

Not sure how much this will help but.......

W&W "Sandman" Gore - Winchester turn - has been back to a Monday thru Friday schedule of late. The job switches the sand loadout and storage track at Gore. Departs Gore around 930-10 for Winchester.
W&W "WST" Inwood - Winchester turn - I believe has been departing Inwood later in the afternoon / evening hours.
W&W "86" Inwood - Hagerstown turn - 0900 Su, 0700 M-R, Sa

The CSX schedules changed some, so the info below is not guaranteed:
CSX D723 0700 T-Sa Winchester to Strasburg Junction, local
CSX D788 1930 M-F Winchester to Strasburg Junction, local
CSX D790 0300 Su-F Brunswick Md to Winchester, transfer / local job
CSX D791 2100 T-Sa Winchester to Brunswick, Md, transfer / local job