Railroad Forums 

• OpenRails - SP Shasta Review

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

#1632653  by eolesen

I know a few of the people here have dabbled in the various train simulators, and this review of a recent route release by trainsimulations.net shows off quite a bit of where OpenRails is today.

For those unfamiliar with OpenRails, it's an open source successor to where MSTS left off. It's free, as is much of the content available. The Shasta route is not free, but worth every penny.

https://www.trainsim.com/forums/article ... deo-review

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1632776  by NaugyRR

Thanks for the review!

I just installed OpenRails for the first time a few weeks ago to relive some MSTS nostalgia. I am so far pleasantly surprised with it, and it was fun roaming through Train-Sim's file library to download NECv4 just like I did as a kid.

I'm glad I still have all my old UK add-on DVDs, I'm looking forward to seeing what Severn Valley Railway looks like on a modern PC.
 #1632781  by eolesen

I just got Severn Valley a few months ago so I could do a Hogwarts Express for my granddaughter (huge Harry Potter fan)...

It's been a fun romp and (unlike most US routes) you don't need hours and hours to finish an activity.
 #1632824  by NaugyRR

My wife is also a huge Harry Potter fan, I think that's the only reason she's going to put up with us hopping across the various heritage railways in England when we go lol.

SVR was my first UK MSTS experience, apart from the default Settle & Carlisle route. To this day I don't think I've had a train simulator DLC include so much content. Two diesels and several steam locomotives along with a ton of rolling stock... today you're lucky to get a re-used locomotive asset for a route half the length for Train Sim World. Fortunately, Just Trains, who developed the SVR add-on, has joined DTG as a partner and will be releasing their first route for TSW next week. I'm looking forward to seeing them raise the bar.

On a side note, the only issue I'm running across in OR is getting used to the old MSTS track aids and how small they are in OpenRails. I've been playing Train Sim World and Classic for so long now that's a learning curve to be backwards compatible myself lol.
 #1632840  by eolesen

ORTS does have the ability to open up a few of the track aids and info displays in a web browser window, which you can then zoom and resize as needed.

I'll have to dig to find a reference to it, but it's been helpful when you're using multiple monitors to have those as floating windows on a separate screen.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk