• Open frame passenger trucks

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by kwyjibo007

Is there anything on the market that is a open frame style truck (like the ones on the walthers horizon cars) with a 6'-10" wheelbase and can accept 28" wheels? These would be for HO scale models. Looking for 6, 4 wheel, trucks.

The club has a few import models that have cast trucks, which have since become warped.

Thanks, in advance, for the help.
  by ApproachMedium

Do you mean an inboard bearing truck, like the Amfleet and Comet cars have or an outboard bearing truck like Amtraks Horizon/Viewliner/Superliner/Metroliner cars have but with an open inner part to apply? If you can post a pic of what you have now that is warped I can possibly lead you to something that may be a viable replacement.
  by Montrealrail

May be by having picture of the cars that you need to add whee truck could be great,and helping you,and us,to tell you wich one could be the better ones..

for the car truck,do you mean like this one
  by ex Budd man

these are the Budd Pioneer III trucks, and yes they are very plain with just the two halves, axles and the bolster. Amfleet II trucks are different upon closer examination.
  by ApproachMedium

Only difference on amfleet two trucks is the way the wheel bearings attach the axles to the truck. I also think the amII trucks cant be separated in the middle to make two halfs like the amI trucks. To the external observation they are identical for the purposes of modeling.

To others, this style is refered to as an inboard bearing style truck as the bearings ride between the wheels on.the axle instead if the axle points. The offical name is the Pioneer III truck which has all of its suspension on the bolster and none on the truck itself.
  by Montrealrail

I think it's the same king of truck that we see on this model..

if it's those ones,Walthers could provinde the trucks by itself..if you did'nt do it,send an e-mail to Walthers to ask the question,we never know..
  by ApproachMedium

walthers will not provide parts. Forget that one! i have already tried to get replacment floors for the cars and their solution is to buy a new car a $30 a pop. That is, when they have them in stock!
  by green_elite_cab

These sound an awful lot like the IHP PATCO trucks, which I assume were re-used on many other IHP products. Are they similar to the trucks pictured below? I know these have 28" wheels and are two halves as you describe. The White Metal/pewter trucks ARE vulnerable to being bent, though they can be straightened. I just did so today with IHP's GSI trucks, which had become bent after a nasty derailment. It takes patience and trial and error, but its not impossible to repair.