• OMNY

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Head-end View

Photobug56, if you buy a ticket on e-tix and your train doesn't show up, isn't the e-ticket still good for a period of time like any paper ticket?
  by GirlOnTheTrain

Yes if you haven't activated said ticket. You're supposed to do it before you get on the train, but I would do it when the conductor came in the car to lift tickets.
  by photobug56

Head-end View wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:45 pm Photobug56, if you buy a ticket on e-tix and your train doesn't show up, isn't the e-ticket still good for a period of time like any paper ticket?
Sure. But DE's and DM's are constantly breaking down, and the PJ line is single track. So if my inbound train breaks down east of me, it could easily be an hour or two before a rescue loco can get there, push the dead train out of the way, and get the next train in. By then, that time period would have elapsed, fare gone. At Penn, outbound, it's a bit better unless the broken down train blocks everything from the West Side Yards, but even then, it can be a long wait.
  by photobug56

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:55 pm Yes if you haven't activated said ticket. You're supposed to do it before you get on the train, but I would do it when the conductor came in the car to lift tickets.
LIRR doesn't like passengers to do that, but that is safe. But since it can take 20 minutes for someone to come by, that's a PITA.
  by daybeers

photobug56 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:27 pm
Head-end View wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:45 pm Photobug56, if you buy a ticket on e-tix and your train doesn't show up, isn't the e-ticket still good for a period of time like any paper ticket?
Sure. But DE's and DM's are constantly breaking down, and the PJ line is single track. So if my inbound train breaks down east of me, it could easily be an hour or two before a rescue loco can get there, push the dead train out of the way, and get the next train in. By then, that time period would have elapsed, fare gone. At Penn, outbound, it's a bit better unless the broken down train blocks everything from the West Side Yards, but even then, it can be a long wait.
I don't understand. Why would you activate the ticket before the train even showed up?
  by photobug56

Mta wants you to activate before boarding. But once train is approaching there's no time.
  by daybeers

What? Of course there is, it takes what, 3 seconds? 2?
  by photobug56

You need to open the app, hopefully you have a data connection, and once the train is in site, everyone starts shoving towards the edge of the platform. A very bad time to have your phone out. If the weather is bad, even worse. Wet, cold, phone is in inside pocket. Plus far too many stories of people having problems with etix, even worse aboard the train because you lose your data connection.

So I'd like to see the 20 peak ticket be available through the ticket machines in EVERY station.
  by Head-end View

Photobug56, What is the actual length of time the e-ticket is valid after you buy it?
  by GirlOnTheTrain

I know on the MNRR side it varies based upon the two points on the ticket. A ticket from Poughkeepsie or Waterbury to Grand Central would be valid longer than a trip from Spuyten Duyvil or Fordham. I would imagine LIRR is the same way. It takes no time at all to activate the ticket. 99% of people activate when the train is pulling in or once they sit down on the train.

Actual ticket validity is the same as a paper ticket - if you didn't activate it, it's valid 60 days from purchase.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

photobug56 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:29 pm LIRR doesn't like passengers to do that, but that is safe. But since it can take 20 minutes for someone to come by, that's a PITA.
So then activate it once you sit down. Then you don't have to worry about the weather or people bum rushing towards the train. 20 minutes makes no difference.
  by photobug56

GirlOnTheTrain wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:41 pm I know on the MNRR side it varies based upon the two points on the ticket. A ticket from Poughkeepsie or Waterbury to Grand Central would be valid longer than a trip from Spuyten Duyvil or Fordham. I would imagine LIRR is the same way. It takes no time at all to activate the ticket. 99% of people activate when the train is pulling in or once they sit down on the train.

Actual ticket validity is the same as a paper ticket - if you didn't activate it, it's valid 60 days from purchase.
I won't do it standing on a crowded platform, so only aboard the train, where etix frequently does not work. I'm a klutz, don't want my phone smashed on cement or the tracks. And I'll probably be holding a cane in one of my hands.
  by Allan

Just a quick note that the OMNY card is now available at the NY Transit Museum store in Grand Central Terminal. They are selling it as a $16.00 card - that is - $11.00 in fare value loaded on the card and $5.00 for the card itself. They are selling the card only and will not do any refills/reloads.

The TM Store in GCT is open Wednesday-Friday 11:30 AM to 6:00 PM

It is possible that the store in the Museum in Brooklyn is doing the same.
  by photobug56

It's good that they have it, though it should be available at every single subway and train station. And if I understand correctly, you should get an OMNY account and provide a payment method for adding value online.
  by Allan

It will be available in every subway station - eventually. I have been following another forum where they have been posting various tidbits on OMNY. Apparently there are production problems with Cubic (the mfgr of the equipment and the creator of the software. There are also shipping issues (some of it may be due to covid as well as other things). The last I heard is that the MTA would start installing machines in subway stations sometime later this year. As it stands, the MetroCard isn't going away in 2023. Due to all the problems the OMNY roll-out is having, the MetroCard will stick around until sometime in 2024.

You would create an account in OMNY to register an OMNY card only if you want to use it to refill that card online (rather than finding a store to do it). The refill can be at intervals/amounts of your choosing or it can be a one time (as needed) event. That is where you would add a debit/credit card or device (fare media) to a profile you would create for yourself (and the OMNY card you register).

Registering the OMNY card or credit/debit card of device on the OMNY site will also allow you to keep track of each time the card/device is used and at what station.