• old yard across from community college

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by theseaandalifesaver

on the orange line from about community college to wellington, there's an old line that leads out to a huge old somewhat torn up yard.

any info on this?

by helium

How far from the existing Lechmere station will the new one be?
Is this favoring the new commercial and (i assume) luxury residential tenants vs. the East Cambridge follks?

by vanshnookenraggen

Across the street. It will be interesting how they will accomidate the busses.

by theseaandalifesaver

Thanks to everyone who answered my question.

by GP40MC 1116

Wait a second, if your talking about the old yard sen via the Orange Line, that is in Somerville.. not in Cambridge, i think someone crossed the 2 topics here..

by vanshnookenraggen

Ohh...thats Assembly Sq. Lord knows if that'll ever be built.
  by GP40MC 1116

theseaandalifesaver wrote:on the orange line from about community college to wellington, there's an old line that leads out to a huge old somewhat torn up yard.

any info on this?

We agreeed this is in Somerville, NOT In Cambridge right

by theseaandalifesaver

it might be cambridge.

it's the old double track that follows the orange line right after it hits community college right before the bridgewhere there's a HUGE yard with like 12+ tracks all torn up.

by jbn521

Theres also an old yard between Wellington and Sullivan next to the old Assembly sq. mall that is now pretty much torn up too. I beleive that one is in Somerville.

by theseaandalifesaver

i think that might be the one i am talking about.

it is literally right next to the orange line.
  by GP40MC1118

That would be Yard 21, which is east of Sullivan Square and extends to the
Mystic River (Foley St/Yacht club).

d
  by b&m 1566

theseaandalifesaver wrote:on the orange line from about community college to wellington, there's an old line that leads out to a huge old somewhat torn up yard.

any info on this?
That was Yard 21; abandoned in the late 1980's early 1990's. I've see cars sitting on the two tracks leading to the yard but never actually seen cars in the yard itself. I guess it is slated for commercial Development sometime in the near future. Not sure if Guilford owns the land like that of Northpoint. I started a topic about this on the New England Railfan forum click here to read forum http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 00ecc304f9

by GP40MC 1116

My dad used to work as a Manager for a busy Trash Hawling Company (Waste Management, back then was USA Waste) over their about 5-6 years back. I used to go to work w him on Saturdays and see T pass by all day long. I do remember their being boxcars and Black gondola's parked in the yard, so it was used a while ago.. few years anywho

by GP40MC 1116

jbn521 wrote:Theres also an old yard between Wellington and Sullivan next to the old Assembly sq. mall that is now pretty much torn up too. I beleive that one is in Somerville.

YES..lol Somerville is right, I am not sure who got thinking this was in Cambridge