Railroad Forums 

• Old Budd RDC's and their future

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#876629  by Robert Paniagua

Actually, those two Budd RDS could be demotored and converted to so-called blind trailer coaches and then converted at BET as Maintenance Rider MOW work cars and attached with anything MOW Related such as water tankers, snow plow or flangers or a caboose for ROW line inspection purposes and could be used with locomotives (GP('s SW's or what have you) for non revenue maintenance
 #876770  by MBTA3247

Weren't they demotored 30 years ago?
 #876807  by F-line to Dudley via Park

At any rate, just storing them there in that kind of condition in plain view of every train leaving North Station gives the same impression as a blighted building in affecting perception of the area. They're ugly and decayed beyond belief, and just getting rid of them in any way is an improvement...historical value be damned. At least move them to some out-of-the-way place if they're just going to be permanently stored and never touched by BET, like Billerica where they store their other disposition equipment or the empty yard at Readville or something.

I doubt they have any value whatsoever intact except as carbodies to repurpose into an exhibit or restaurant stand or something. Just give them away...even pay for the trucking to get them off the property. It's probably costing them more to periodically inspect them for decades on end to make sure the homeless and god knows what else stays out of them. Somebody will want them at $0 plus shipping.
 #876813  by frank754

According to Wikipedia, they are still used in Canada on Vancouver Island, and a few in Ontario, with some cars to be refurbished for additional expanded VIA rail service in Ontario. Also, TRE from Dallas to Ft Worth, and Cape May Seashore Lines (tourist).
The Reading & Northern in PA owns a couple, but according to their site say they are "down" with no immediate plans of restoration.
Here are 3 photos I took, one along the Reading (now SEPTA) at Bethlehem in 1978, and two from the British Columbia Railways
(ex-Pacific Great Eastern) North Vancouver shops in April, 1975, when they were still running.

They were definitely the way to go for branch line service while they lasted, it would have been great if they had kept up with the concept. Of course in earlier days, especially back in the 20's & 30's there were other types of flanged-wheeled "jitneys" as well, like the 1925-era M-100 and 1935-era M-300 seen here when I visited the California Western in 1974 (operating those cars as well as steam for tourists).

Last edited by frank754 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #876816  by 3rdrail

I'm not that pro- "get 'em outta here !", but they are a hazard left where they are. If they're "off the beaten track", the homeless will get in there with their "furniture" and "fireplace". Next thing you'll find is a blazing Buddliner on the 6 o' clock news. How about raffling them off to a bar with proceeds going to charity on the condition that it's refurbished to RR standard appearance-wise with a low-rent space at one or two of the Union Stations ?

Nice shots, Frank !
 #876859  by CRail

What's the fixation with the interior? They're not even complete. Realistically they're only good as shells to be used in some other form of stationary service, unless big money is dumped into them.

As far as sights and safety, they're in an industrial area so they aren't "bringing down a neighborhood," and they've been there for the better part of a decade without incident. They abut a moderately traveled access road surrounded by surveillance and without much public access. In other words, they're seen but not easy to get to. Far less accessible than the rotting box cars by the cobble hill commuter rail building, which don't seem to be occupied by any wandering souls. If you don't like what they look like, don't look at them, simple as that. Point is, I think anyone would like to see something nice happen to them, and certainly everyone here (if you disagree, your opinion is respected but voicing it is not appreciated. I'm not fond of Ford built cars but you don't see me at Ford dealerships trashing their products).
 #1632282  by dieciduej

Reviving and old thread...

One of the old RDCs, the other burnt on September 10, 2022, in the Somerville area is undergoing asbestos removal. I not sure if this means they are both finally going to scrap or the good one is being taken up by some organization.
IMG_4710.jpg
IMG_4710.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 595 times