• Official "Maple Leaf" Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by afiggatt

jp1822 wrote:Try booking from Albany to Toronto or Montreal. As has been posted, a large part of the problem on the Adirondack AND Maple Leaf is that they are the FIRST early morning trains out of NYP to Albany and carry a LOT of local traffic. Same can be said for the Friday evening and Sunday evening Ethan Allen Express to/from NYP and Albany.

It would be more interesting to see if the problem could be alleviated by putting a more "local train" from NYP to Albany on the schedule in between the departure times of the Maple Leaf and Adirondack (depart NYP at 7:30 a.m. for a 10 a.m. arrival at Albany). OR a train that left NYP for Albany at say 6:45 a.m. and got to Alabany in the 9 a.m. hour. This may be more appealing for the business travelers/locals - and those that even have monthly passes. I know a few people who have monthly passes and commute on the Empire Corridor between NYP and Albany intermediate points.
I just used Amsnag to check the availability of seats for the next 21 days for NYP to Toronto (TWO) and then Rochester to TWO. Amsnag shows Sold Out 4 out of the next 5 days for NYP to TWO, while seats are available all of those days for ROC to TWO. Confirms that the biggest issue with the Maple Leaf is NYP to Albany and upper NY state traffic taking away seats that could be sold through TWO.

The weekday schedule has trains departing ALB to NYP at 5:10 AM, 6:10, 7:00, 8:05 AM. Meanwhile the NYP departures northbound are the ML at 7:15 AM, the Adirondack at 8:15 AM. With the growth of ridership on the corridor, the balance in the traffic load pattern appear to have changed to more people heading north from NYP to ALB in the morning. It may take more equipment, but perhaps they should consider a 6:30 AM NYP to ALB train to arrive ALB at ~9 AM which would work for business travelers. That would free up seats on the ML for trips to upper state NY and TWO.

If the Customs facility opens in Montreal, the Adirondack should be shifted to a later departure from NYP to allow for better connections from south of NYP. That would presumably result in a NYP-ALB train getting shifted earlier to a circa 8:15 AM NYP departure.

When the ML starts selling out on a regular basis or getting close to selling out on trips to/from TWO, then it would be time to look at adding a second daily ML. My thinking is that if several hours can be cut off of the Adirondack trip time, that it will be the more likely service of the two to get a second daily train added first.
  by NS VIA FAN

At least rail cars can cross the border without any problem!

http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/arti ... oss-border
Rogue rail car rolls undetected across border

No one noticed the rogue rail car cross the border from Niagara Falls, N.Y. to Niagara Falls, Ont., in the wee hours of Aug. 12.

Somehow, the rail car left the CSX rail yard on American soil and rolled across the Whirlpool Rapids Bridge before halting in the Niagara Via Rail station, which was closed for the night
  by Backshophoss

Hopefully CN was able to shove the "wayward' car back across to CSX after repairs were done to the track/switch
involved.
  by 25Hz

I'm not sure if they would do that, I think CSX would come get it unless paperwork was filed to allow CN to bring the car across the border since it wasn't legally handed off to CN by rolling across??

I'm really shocked that it made it across the bridge. The tracks across there are pretty rough.
  by Backshophoss

As long as the seals on the doors are INTACT and no mech. issues,and Canadian customs/USCBP are ok with it.
It becomes a"return to sender" type deal.
However,if the door seals are broken,cargo missing,it becomes a whole different matter.
  by afiggatt

Has Amtrak officially reached an agreement with CN to take ownership or control of the tracks on the Whirlpool Bridge? I found a listing on the Amtrak Procurement portal for a track inspection and maintenance contract of the "Amtrak Whirlpool Bridge":

Track Inspection and Maintenance of Amtrak Whirlpool Bridge - Niagara Falls, NY
Introduction: Amtrak intends to accept submissions from fully qualified Contractors capable of providing services related to Track Inspection and Maintenance in accordance with; Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulations and track safety standards; Transport Canada regulations and track safety standards; Amtrak Maintenance of Way (MW) 1000 Specifications; and Amtrak Engineering Standards, Specifications and Practices.

The Work, when awarded, shall take place at the track located at the Whirlpool Bridge in Niagara Falls, NY and performed over a three (3) year period with an option to extend to a total of five (5) years.
I could post the link, but it is a very long string.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

afiggatt wrote:Has Amtrak officially reached an agreement with CN to take ownership or control of the tracks on the Whirlpool Bridge? I found a listing on the Amtrak Procurement portal for a track inspection and maintenance contract of the "Amtrak Whirlpool Bridge":

Track Inspection and Maintenance of Amtrak Whirlpool Bridge - Niagara Falls, NY
Introduction: Amtrak intends to accept submissions from fully qualified Contractors capable of providing services related to Track Inspection and Maintenance in accordance with; Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulations and track safety standards; Transport Canada regulations and track safety standards; Amtrak Maintenance of Way (MW) 1000 Specifications; and Amtrak Engineering Standards, Specifications and Practices.

The Work, when awarded, shall take place at the track located at the Whirlpool Bridge in Niagara Falls, NY and performed over a three (3) year period with an option to extend to a total of five (5) years.
I could post the link, but it is a very long string.
So, where is the funding coming from? New York State, Ontario, VIA, Amtrak's own (limited) coffers, or any combination of the aforementioned parties?
  by 25Hz

Are they moving the border to the canadian side of the bridge?
  by 161pw165

I highly doubt they are moving the "border". However, the customs/inspections will be moving to the NF transporation center near the bridge when that building upgrade/reconstruction is finished.
  by 25Hz

161pw165 wrote:I highly doubt they are moving the "border". However, the customs/inspections will be moving to the NF transporation center near the bridge when that building upgrade/reconstruction is finished.
Was thinking how do people work on a bridge over a border, why not just move it to the far side. I know about passenger crossing inspections, I'm talking about Amtrak employees or contractors working on the upper deck of teh bridge.
  by jstolberg

Our borders never have been and never will be completely secure. Border security on an international bridge can be handled by doing background checks on employees, ID cards, work rules and passports. For a larger project, fences can be built on one or both sides with people checked on entry/exit to the job site.

Hire reliable people. Establish clear work rules. Inspect often enough to ensure compliance. Make penalties high enough to deter non-compliance.