• Official "Maple Leaf" Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. R36, considering my railroad Labor Relations background, I am ashamed to acknowledge I don't know.

i have addressed that question over at the VIA Rail forum; maybe an informed response will be submitted.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 59&t=63639
  by Gilbert B Norman

While discussion regarding this dispute and possible work stoppage shoul rightly move forth over at VIA Rail Forum, as information here is coverage as of a few hours ago by the Canadian Press (courtesy Google News):

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... sgRUBuAu8g

• MONTREAL — Thousands of travellers across the country will likely need to find another way to get to their destinations if they are travelling by train.

Locomotive engineers at Via Rail appear to be headed for a strike today after the collapse of negotiations with the rail service.

The company said barring a last minute resolution, it will cancel all service across the country at noon ET, the deadline set by the engineers for a settlement.

Via, which carries nearly 12-thousand passengers a day, had already cancelled some departures this week in anticipation of a walkout - including trains leaving early this morning from Halifax.

The 340 engineers are represented by the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference union and have been without a contract since Dec. 31, 2006.
From a rewiew of the website, as of a few moments ago, the interchange of 63(24) to VIA at Canadian border remains embargoed, however 69(24) will operate to Montreal. The status of 510(24) is less clear; the site reports Sold Out, however the train may simply be just that.
  by Tadman

Mod note: It sounds like we've solved the mystery of the Maple Leaf operation during the strike. Please discuss other strike-related matters at the Via forum.
  by Ken W2KB

Thank you, I'm booked on the Adirondack NYP to MTR and return, August 5th and 11th to attend the SF Worldcon. So far so good from the looks of the Amtrak notice.
  by buddah

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Finally, From the Horse's Mouth

Sure took 'em a while.
I guess they were waiting until the last min as well, but got the heads up as Canada CTV news just reported that talk finished last night at Midnight with no deal acquired,( didn't I say that?) which was transmitted to Amtrak to give them a 12 hr heads up for the Maple Leaf. The official word was not given to News reporters yet as its past 12 noon but Union Station Toronto, the VIA Ticket counter is now shut down and all train are stopped. I guess that's as official as it gets.

anyone want to take a shot at the questions I posted above on Amtrak NY maple leaf operations. to keep this Amtrak related, anything VIA related please post in VIA forum from here, thank you....
  by RailBus63

Why wouldn't Amtrak provide alternate bus transportation from Niagara Falls NY to and from Toronto? Is a substitute bus considered to be 'crossing' the picket line?
  by Gilbert B Norman

by Tadman

The last four posts are in direct contradiction of the request to "discuss Via matters in the Via forum".
  by NS VIA FAN

To keep this on an Amtrak Topic.......I’m wondering when Amtrak will resume through service beyond Niagara Falls to Toronto on the “Maple Leaf”.

VIA has posted an update on their website as of early Sunday that:

“VIA Rail Canada and the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference (TCRC) have reached an agreement to go into binding arbitration. The parties have also announced that VIA train services will resume Sunday”

VIA says some of their services will resume on Sunday so I’m guessing it will be #63 departing NYP on Monday with the first New York bound #97-64 departing Toronto on Tuesday.
  by NS VIA FAN

Regarding the Adirondack and Cascades……

There was some speculation in previous posts if these trains would operate to Montreal and Vancouver. Did they actually operate into Canada on the three days of the strike?

I realize they are entirely an Amtrak operation but VIA may be responsible for turning and servicing the trains.
  by DutchRailnut

service is believed to resume on Monday.
  by NS VIA FAN

DutchRailnut wrote:service is believed to resume on Monday.
Even faster than that!.....VIA has just updated their Web Site to show train #98 departing Niagara Falls at 5:45 this afternoon.....this should be the continuation of Amtrak #63 through from NYP. And if thats the case, there should be a #97-64 from Toronto to New York Monday AM.
  by AgentSkelly

NS VIA FAN wrote:Regarding the Adirondack and Cascades……

There was some speculation in previous posts if these trains would operate to Montreal and Vancouver. Did they actually operate into Canada on the three days of the strike?

I realize they are entirely an Amtrak operation but VIA may be responsible for turning and servicing the trains.
Well, the Cascades goes through the wye before it enters the platform at Pacific Central Station so its already turned in that regard. I think the train is serviced by someone other than VIA. And yes, the Cascades has been running SEA-VAC without a problem according to train status.