• Official Bel-Del Discussion Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Notch 8

The first part of the act is to get the M-1 TO the Bel Del. Right now it is in Butler. It will be very possible to see it running as a single car train once it is returned to service. Making the plans, short and long term, for the unit however are way above my pay scale.
  by larry1090

here in the pictures we see CMO Gary Mathews looking with the camera in one of the super heater tubes. on this day we got the rest of them cleaned up and ready for testing and we also had a few that Gary will be doing further work on.
  by larry1090

this was a funny sign to see hanging up in the shop when I showed up to work in the shop. In a way, its true LOL. :-D
  by shadyjay

Notch 8 wrote:It will be very possible to see it running as a single car train once it is returned to service. Making the plans, short and long term, for the unit however are way above my pay scale.

Whatever happened to M-55, the Delaware Turtle?
  by wolfboy8171981

shadyjay wrote:
Notch 8 wrote:It will be very possible to see it running as a single car train once it is returned to service. Making the plans, short and long term, for the unit however are way above my pay scale.

Whatever happened to M-55, the Delaware Turtle?
M-55 was transfered from the BDRV to the BR&W in either 2004 or 2005. It was used for one season and has been stored servicable since.
  by Donko142

GREAT STUFF GUYS !!!

Otto I believe the M-1 will be in the train as the wine car due to the A/C. If we get the Railroad extended a good amount this year, (By July 1st we hope) I believe in the fall it will operate on it's own with the wine train running between the regular trips. If we get to the point or operating 2 trains. I know many of us want to see the M-1 or maybe the GE with a short caboose hop in the station when the 142 is out on the RR for it's 1hr 10 min trip. Something to offer people when the train is out.

Thanks Larry ! You got kicked to the wolves and came up fighting. In the last 2 weeks you jumped right in from your first real day. Working on the train, the boiler last week, now the superheater units. Gary said you were a big help as so many are ! Doc and Don show up every Friday like clock work. We will be working on the open car or out on the speeder cutting this Thursday, all are welcome.

Be Safe
Don
  by Passaic River Rat

So these guys are "cleaning the pipes" of "the other woman" on an internet chat room? (Couldn't resist)
  by Donko142

Hello All

I’m thrilled to report the Easter trains were a huge success, thanks to all who helped make this event a grand slam. Ridership numbers for the 2010 Easter Trains crushed any of our very successful Easter Trains on record to date. I truly believe this is the first thing on what I believe will be our best year yet on the Bel-Del. There will be many highly visible improvements on the Railroad before July.

Thanks for looking Don

P.S. open car project and ROW clean up this Thursday & Friday
  by Donko142

What a beautiful day it was out on the Railroad. Like any Thursday to Sunday, there was alot going on down here ! Larry G, "old reliable" Pete Stagg, myself and Alan from the Whippany Railway Muesem went down South today, our first trip in 2010. We got as far as Holland clearing the trees and brush off the track from a long winter. The track contractor will be on the railroad shortly with the commercial bush cutter to due some real damage along the ROW. This is looking like it's going to be a GREAT year for us on the Bel Del. Improvements will be coming in many different forms. While we were working torwads the South, Rich B and his crew were working to the north. Gary and Don were like always working in the shop on 142. Her new flues will be arriving tomorrow. Let's see what tomorrow brings

by larry1090

here is one of the view's from today work detaial's.
  by Donko142

Something else we ran into on our trip last week was KIDS !! Just because a train doesn't go by everyday, it doesn't mean you build a tree fort on the railroad. Is it me or is there a problem with some kids and parents these days ? If my brother and I did that my fathers shoe would have been implanted in our butts about 5 minutes after he got home from work.

by Ken W2KB

Donko142 wrote:Something else we ran into on our trip last week was KIDS !! Just because a train doesn't go by everyday, it doesn't mean you build a tree fort on the railroad. Is it me or is there a problem with some kids and parents these days ? If my brother and I did that my fathers shoe would have been implanted in our butts about 5 minutes after he got home from work.

It's not you. Like the parents with kid in hand at Ringoes that like to stand in the gauge and won't move when politely asked, even though the train is just outside the platform area returning to the station after the run around in the yard. :(
  by wolfboy8171981

Donko142 wrote:Something else we ran into on our trip last week was KIDS !! Just because a train doesn't go by everyday, it doesn't mean you build a tree fort on the railroad. Is it me or is there a problem with some kids and parents these days ? If my brother and I did that my fathers shoe would have been implanted in our butts about 5 minutes after he got home from work.

Good Luck. I'm not sure if there the same family, but we've always had problems with the neighbors just north of CPG, where the turntable is a bridge over the railroad.
  by Donko142

It's hard to tell but were North of turntable bridge about 1 mile, this was taken about 200 yards North of "Hoots Tavern"
  by NYS&W142Fan

Need to take the Jordan Spreader down there and push it back where it came from. It looks more like a dump than a fort.