Railroad Forums 

• NYSW SD70M Official Thread (Please Read)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#506734  by ShortlinesUSA

"I am not saying that the SD-70's will or will not go to the Florida East
Coast but in order for this to happen some things will have to occur.
Cab air conditioning is a must on the FEC, all of their engines are so
equipped and they are not used as leaders without this in working order.
They will also need to be equipped with FEC cab signals and automatic
train control"
Or, they just won't lead. FEC used several ex SP six axles from LTE a couple of years ago, and they just buried them in consist.

I think what kingfish is looking into legally is whether I&O can "sublease" the units to the FEC, that's kind of like you renting your house to someone then they move out and rent it to some crackheads. You'd definitely have a say in that as the owner, and no would likely be the answer. However, with FEC and RailAmerica now under the umbrella of Fortress Investments, it would seem to be OK. If anything, FEC is better equipped to handle these units, and they will likely be better maintained there.

#509454  by midland sub

I think what kingfish is looking into legally is whether I&O can "sublease" the units to the FEC, that's kind of like you renting your house to someone then they move out and rent it to some crackheads. You'd definitely have a say in that as the owner, and no would likely be the answer. However, with FEC and RailAmerica now under the umbrella of Fortress Investments, it would seem to be OK. If anything, FEC is better equipped to handle these units, and they will likely be better maintained there.
All are equipped with a/c that did work (at least when the units weren't down) last summer.

4054 has been working the I&O's Cincinnati-Flat Rock trains #400/401 for the past week. 4050/4052 returned from the W&LE last weekend dead in tow to the I&O's Norwood Shop. Both were returned to service on Wednesday and made their first road trip on Thursday on the I&O's Midland Sub. They brought a 60 car freight north and returned to Cincinnati with two cars. Typical I&O oddball operations. Golden-Arm can attest to that. I doubt they will leave the I&O......

#509524  by Steve F45

there was another post about this today on the yahoo board. Said all units were in brewster (now all back in service) to have their wheels trued and will be heading to FEC next week. How true this is who knows.

#509581  by lvrr325

And are the units leased specifically to the I&O, or to Rail America? Any stipulations in the lease about off-line use?

#509659  by Noel Weaver

Steve F45 wrote:there was another post about this today on the yahoo board. Said all units were in brewster (now all back in service) to have their wheels trued and will be heading to FEC next week. How true this is who knows.
I will believe this WHEN I actually see these units down here in Florida.
Noel Weaver

#509905  by Steve F45

same here. im just forwarding what is posted over on the yahoo boards.

#526873  by charlie6017

Any news lately on the SD70M's?

#529192  by Steve F45

the one engine reported in florida is supposedly having work done since I&O doesn't have the capabilities up at there shop for what needs to be done.

#530547  by Noel Weaver

As I type this Wednesday evening, NYS&W 4052 is on FEC train no. 119
enroute to the FEC shop at New Symrna Beach.
Noel Weaver
 #555942  by rcbsd45

I just got back from a nine day swing through Ohio, part of which was spent at a BLET convention in Huron, along lake Erie, and near Cedar point, the "Roller Coaster capital". As part of my travels, I was able to track down two of the SD70Ms, the 4050, and 4054, as they traversed the Indiana and Ohio Railway. I had a heads up on the northbound train(with the 4054 trailing), but the southbound, with the 4050 leading was a surprise(and a nice gift). Anyway, since its been awhile since these have been seen, here are some images, taken this past Saturday, july 12. Enjoy!

Staring off, we have the northbound train, # 401, crossing the CSX main line in Hamler, about 7 miles west opf Deshler, a popular railfan gathering place:

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1241739

Heres a somewhat better shot of the 4054:

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1241746

We then lucked out and was able to catch a southbound, but this one had the NYSW unit leading, and heres a few images of that train:

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1241744

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1241745

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1241747

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... id=1241748

The units themselves didnt look TOO bad,although the lettering on one was less than perfect and needed touching up, but they sounded good, and its nice to see them still running.

RCB
 #555990  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm going to merge this one. There are at least three SD-70 topics already, one which is even locked, due to redundancy. (we'll combine them all into one SD-70 sticky, shortly) Regards :wink:
Last edited by GOLDEN-ARM on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total. Reason: redundancy, multiple topics covering this equipment
 #560244  by GOLDEN-ARM

The combining seems to have worked. All new threads started about the SD-70's will be merged into this one, so please don't start new threads. Topics have merged in calendar order. Thanks, and enjoy....... :-D
 #599748  by midland sub

Here's a shot of 4054 still working on the I&O. Gold-Arm passed this spot a time or two during his I&O tenure. The shot is at Cuba, Ohio on the I&O's Midland Sub. 4054 was looking a bit ragged and sounded worse. She is smoking pretty heavy on hard pulls and has a constant clicking noise.
Attachments:
Turn at Cuba Rd.jpg
Turn at Cuba Rd.jpg (226.03 KiB) Viewed 3198 times