• NYSBA Photo Ban - Update

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

I just got off the phone with Mark Sheedy of NYSBA, in regards to the photo ban on the bridges they operate. While I did not grill him on the legality of such a ban (I'm not equipped to debate that), I expressed our concerns as photographers and tourists. He stressed over and over that photography *IS* permitted on the bridges -- AS LONG AS YOU CHECK IN WITH THE BRIDGE OFFICE FIRST. There is no permit process, no fees. The Manager on duty will ask for a copy of your driver license, and they will also request that you check in when you leave the property (otherwise, they are going to assume the worst- that you bought a one-way ticket to the Hudson River).

Is it perfect? No. Can you take pictures from the bridges? YES- as long as you check in with the bridge manager first. The offices are manned 24 hours a day, even on weekends.

If you attempt to check in and are rebuffed for reasons other than safety (extremely high winds, inclement weather, or construction), call Mr. Sheedy and let him know.

For the record, I want to maintain that Mr. Sheedy answered all of my questions in a professional manner, he wants to make sure the correct information gets out to the press.

-otto-

by onder

Good work!

Facts v. hearsay...

Thanks again.

by the missing link

oh,thank you!thats awesome.much different from the impression i got,but my story was as it happened.seeya sunday......
  by RussNelson

My understanding of the issue of taking photographs of things which can be publicly viewed is that there is no law against it. Various facilities managers may feel differently. The question here seems to be: do you need to be pollite to government officials given that you pay their salaries and they have a monopoly on the use of violence. Seems to me like it's their job to be polite to you, and in particular be knowledgable of the law and not go beyond it. But that's just me.
-russ

by the missing link

We were around there this past sunday. ALL of the signs are gone now, several people casually walking accross enjoying the great weather.