• NYS&W Reactivates an SD45!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by rcbsd45

NYS&W has reactivated SD45 # 3618, and was in the SU-100 arriving in Little Ferry, NJ on Monday August 23rd. look for this to return west on SU-99 departing the evening of the 23rd. SUPPOSEDLY, another 45 will be reactivated, as the railroad is in a power crunch these days. Stay Tuned, and keep your eyes open!
  by thebigham

I was in Utica over the weekend. I saw a unit I thought was an SD45, but I didn't write down the unit number. Sorry.

The shop had a lot of units especially old B&A units.

Anybody have a listing of the units at the shops?

I saw a GP7/9. #7011?

A couple of units looked like they were being scrapped.

Chris

by uticajack

We were down north of the CSX tracks on Friday night and noticed there was a SD45 missing from the yards. I'll make it a point to go there on Wednesday to see what units and unit numbers are still there. I'll try to take a photo of the burned out snowplow that I reported on July 13 too. It's pretty rusty at the moment.

Jack

by rcbsd45

When I was there last(it it was within the past couple of weeks), the 3612 was outside, nose donated to a BDLX GP40 which is no longer a high hood unit, and this unit(3612) looked pretty far gone. The 3636 was along side the building, still outside, and while I can confirm some parts have been removed for other units, the carbody is still intact and in one piece. the 3614 and 3618 were outside the building, but in differing areas of the compound. There also were a bunch of ex BN Cabless B30-7A's(owned by RMDI), a bunch of BAR GP38-3's( being held out of service by the bank that owns them, I believe), as well as a D&H blue and grey Jordan Spreader and other assorted pieces of equipment in various states of disassembly. Inside was the 120, the 1804(getting its new block) and a Housitanic GP35, # 3603, I believe, in for some work by RMDI. Also, the NYSW is taking the ex BAR woodchip cars and placing heavier trucks on them and upping the allowable tonnage they can hold, so as to maximixe their potential.

by crij

I am surprised to hear that the NYS&W is short on power, seeing that they recently sold 3 - 4 of the 4000 series engines to P&W

4002 was sent to P&W as a demonstrator, but as far as I know has yet to be used.

4004 is in route to the P&W, last reported in Bellow Falls, on the NECR.

Unsure about the other 2 or 3 units, probably the next one is getting prepped for installation of the cab signals, or waiting for the next P&W unit to head up that way to donate the equipment.

Rich C.

by NYSW3614

NYSW never owned the GEs, just leased them, from CIS Corporation?

4002 has been used, but not very much.