Railroad Forums 

• NYNH&H Pleasant Street Bridge in Northampton?

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1564194  by unichris

Anyone know anything about the NYNH&H's elevated crossing of Pleasant Street in downtown Northampton, MA?

I found the plans from 1888 to elevate the line and eliminate a bunch of grade crossings including that one, and the crossing of Bridge St/Main St (Rt 9) which today hosts the bought-from-catalog rail-trail bridge parallel to the CT River Railroad tracks: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... ampton.jpg

But the Pleasant street bridge is gone and its abutments torn back for substantial distance, sometime between when the line was deactivated and when it became a rail trail. Given the trail climbs up and back down the built-up ramp along Hampton Avenue that would have lead to the crossing, its clear that removal of the bridge would have made the line permanently impassable, and had to happen after abandonment, and after the various mid-century railfan trips and later freight movements sometimes reported.
 #1567033  by Jedijk88

When Penn Central absorbed the New Haven they abandoned the track between Florence and Easthampton in 1970. The website Historic Aerials show the Pleasant Street bridge still in place in 1971, but I believe shortly after the ROW was sold to Western Mass Electric Co. and scrapped / bridges removed.
 #1577201  by New Haven 1

I wish I could provide more but, the best I can do at this time is a link to a photo I posted on NERailphotos of a short train that crossed the bridge you are asking about. I recall seeing trains as a child on this area.

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... orthampton

Unless I'm mistaken, the single coal hopper would have been most likely from the power plant at the VA hospital in Leeds where to this day the spur track off of the old canal line is still there.
 #1578851  by Jedijk88

[[/url]

This image shows the former NH bridge over Main Street. The Pleasant St bridge would have been around the curve to the south of the Budd cars in the photo. Yes, the VA hospital did receive coal shipments from the NH.
 #1602473  by New Haven 1

I forgot I posted a reply here but when the follow-up note by jediijk88 reminded me of this picture from Greatrails.

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?2 ... orthampton

This one indicates 1968 when the time was short for this part of the canal line and, ironically had the photographer turned around, they could have photographed the Pleasant street bridge!