Railroad Forums 

• NYCTA Linden Yard to NYA?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #120918  by Legio X

In the "Yard Space" topic, reference was made to the NYCTA Linden Yard, which is on the Bay Ridge Branch. It said that if the NYCTA were to get out of the business of in-house track fabrication, the Linden Yard would become surplus, and thus a possibility for purchase or lease by the NYA. Is this really a possibility?

I believe it said also that Linden Yard was an LIRR yard at one time. When was this, and when did it become a part of the NYCTA system? What is it's configuration- stub-ended or double-ended? How many tracks, and would it really make a difference in NYA's operations?

#120921  by METSALLTHEWAY

MYA can run in it because they brought the R142's in there when they were beaing delivered

#121658  by Legio X

Maybe Jay or the Duke could shed some light on Linden Yard???

#121703  by BMT

I can talk abit about Linden Yard. When I walked the Bay Ridge several years back I took as much notes as I could. The yard has six or seven layup tracks. At one time there were more, but a good portion of the area closest to Linden Blvd. has been turned into a diesel re-fueling station (for the MOW engines and NYCTA motor-vehicles).

As far as I know NYCTA took over the facility sometime in the 1980's. I also know that one of the three vacuum trains is usually kept there, along with an occasional rail inspection vehicle and of course flat cars, gondolas and cranes that all come into play when rail replacement is necessary.

One of the things I noticed about the yard was that there was a switch leading west out of the yard into the Bay Ridge Branch. As a protection -- and to indicate a boundary with the LIRR -- Transit placed a bumping block (instead of a derailer) on this switch facing the Linden Yard facility. Linden yard has a switch at the north-east end (just outside a rolling fence) that leads out onto the Bay Ridge Branch. This is the way that NYA was able to deliver the R-142 subway cars to NYCTA.

#122007  by Legio X

So Linden Yard could be accessed at both ends. That would make operating the yard easier, if it were to be decommissioned by NYCTA and come into the hands of the NYA.
 #122165  by BMT

Legio X, yes Linden is accessible from both directions.

Also, keep in mind there is more property than just the area where NYCT lays up their trains.

The larger yard extends over Linden Blvd. and down to Livonia Avenue. I believe this is the area that was used by LIRR and later New Haven RR as a freight classification yard (JJ would know more about this). Currently this area is where the assembled track panels are stored until needed by MOW crews. The yard area is actually larger than is needed for TA's purposes, so alot of it is open vacant land.

In any event I will investigate and see what's going on their shortly as the weather improves for some exploration. :-D

#122307  by Legio X

BMT:
Go forth with a warrant from the Senate and People of Rome to do as you outlined above, and report back as soon as possible.

the crack 10th Legion, over and out...

#164783  by Legio X

Anything new with this possibly being acquired by the NYA?

#165932  by BMT

At this time I haven't found the time to make a return visit.

Also, since the last time I inspected the line it has been seriously sealed up. (According with the 911 state of emergency). The LIRR spent a small fortune fencing up the Bay Ridge particularly in eastern Brooklyn and Queens. There are few areas of entry, so it cuts down on the vagrancy rate on the line. There may not be any further opportunities to walk the line unless something official is coordinated in that regard.

#166092  by Legio X

Maybe someone "in the know" at NYA (Jay) could offer some insight into this subject?

#166619  by krispy

Was that New Lots Yard? I guessed New Lots was mostly north of where Linden shops were, but maybe that was it. I had worked with conductors who were old-timers about to retire in the mid 90's who had worked LI freight there, and didn't have fond memories of it. I also dimly remember seeing long disused NYCT style signals around the shop lead track back about that time, they still there?

#472947  by Spartan Phalanx

Anything more ever come up about this? It seems like it would be a home run for NYA.....

#501782  by BMT

Anything more ever come up about this? It seems like it would be a home run for NYA.....
Well, went past there on Thursday and it is still evident that NYCT is prefabing their own track panels in the yard. Guess they had second thoughts about out-sourcing the work. Perhaps they found that there is better QC when thw work is done 'in-house'.

BTW, I saw three or four TTX low-floor railcars in Linden Yard, so I know NYA made a delivery there not long ago.