• NYC Steam Power On K&M

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Rick F.

Can anyone tell me what classes of NYC steam locos were used from Charleston, W.Va. to Gallipolis, Oh. In the 1950 - 54 era.

Thanks
Rick F.
  by tocfan

I can provide some insight from the Ohio end of your Question. Mainline steam between Columbus and Hobson (and probably Dickinson) was gone by the end of 1950. Hobson had 3-4 steamers left to work mines that would not allow diesels. Corning also had 3-4 steamers left for that purpose. The Federal Valley out of Palos was all steam until its abandonment in 1954. That locomotive was serviced in Corning. My suspicion is that WV. was the same only steamers left were for servicing mines that would not allow diesels. I thing the Federal Valley had a 10 wheeler and the others in Corning and Hobson were light Mikados. I would have to double check my files to be sure.

Mike Fleming
President, Memphis Society of Model Railroaders